Saluda River

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by jkesler, Apr 26, 2006.

1. jkesler

jkesler New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    For those who fish from Lake Greenwood to Lake Murray!

2. jkesler

jkesler New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Does anyone ever fish the Saluda?

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Haven't fished the river just both lakes.

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Not a real safe river to run with you average boat especially if you dont know it.I know its very good for striper behind lake greenwood dam and catfishing is good for smaller ones I've never seen any monsters come out of there and I've never even fished it for catfish just seen pictures.

5. jkesler

jkesler New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeh, we own about 2 1/2 miles of riverfront right before the greenwood dam. I caught over 150 pounds of stripers in some rapids in five days. We have caught some goos cats too.

6. jkesler

jkesler New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    All of those stripers were from the bank!!

7. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I used to fish the very lower end of the Saluda river where it emptied into Lake Murray. But, that has been a little over 20 years ago. If I recall correctly, I fished (maybe) a two mile stretch of the lower section. It was a really good area for catfish and stripers. I primarily baited with the gizzard and entrails from the Gizzard shad.

Also, (if I recall correctly) I would go to a place called Buzzards Roost, which I think was the tailwaters of the Lake Greenwood dam, where I would either use a castnet or a snatching rod to catch my shad. Used to have a ball snatching those big gizzard shad. Catching the bait was half of the fun of fishing.

I sure do miss catching the catfish and stripers that I used to catch on the lower end of the Saluda. But, I am now in Tennessee and in an area that does not have the quality of catfish that I used to get while living in SC (for five years or so).

8. Big_cat_hunter

Big_cat_hunter New Member

State:
    Saluda, SC
    I tried it once with no luck down around the resort. I hooked up a couple of times but they came off. I live near ramp 4 on Murray but travel often to Santee to fish with a buddy. We catch fresh shad for bait around Low Falls Landing but I don't have a clue where to find any up here. Buying bait gets too expensive. Santee spoiled me I guess! If you'd like to get together sometime and try it I wouldn't mind fishing a little closer to home with gas prices the way they are. Anyway, good luck!

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

the fishing for nice 5-20 cats and even striper is good just below the gervais st bridge, but like someone else said if you don't know the water be careful. Me and a friend of mine help a couple of guys that hit the bridge pilings and lost everything but their lives. the bank fishing is pretty good but be ready to use at least 3-4 oz of lead plus bait, herring and cut shad are the tops there. if in doubt just before you cross the bridge to there's a bait shop on the right, can't remember the name though, stop in there and talk to those guys they are always real helpful.