Saluda River / Lake?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by BassTrackerMac, Jun 7, 2007.

1. BassTrackerMac

BassTrackerMac New Member

State:
    Liberty, SC
    I noticed a story in the paper about all the silt collecting towards the north end of Saluda Lake here in the Upstate. The article mentioned that fishing was allowed. Anyone out there that can give me a shout-out if there are any catfish worth messing with there? Thanks for your help!:smile2: Mark

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    From what I understand the lake has very limited access so I'm not sure about catfishing. The river doesn't hold many cats until it gets close to Lake Greenwood and the upper most reaches is stock with trout. Good luck.

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    there are some good cats in the lake but not to many. the lake is loaded with gizzard shad but cast nets are a no no. it also has alot of white perch and white bass not nothing real big. the crappies give away an occasional 2 to 3 lb fish but there are tons of them about 3 to 5 inches long.

4. Cyberwarped

Cyberwarped New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Saluda Lake isnt far from my house. I go there mostly now to work on the boat and give it a shakedown run. There is one landing on the lake with a narrow dogleg channel away from landing. Any deviation will get you grounded. Lake is silted bad and depth on average is like 2 feet. however if you can follow the "river" you can get maybe 9 feet. Also if very carefull you can go up river for a few miles. I take my 20ft bassbuggy pontoon way up at very slow speeds. We have never caught anything over a couple pounds but have heard of 10 to 15 pound cats. If any one needs specific directions or info let me know.

5. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    Earl I have tried to go up river once and got stuck and had to get out and push the boat so now if I go out there I go down the lake. from where the old ski ramp was to the dam there is alot of water in the 30 ft range. The man that owns the ramp his son has caught several over 30 lbs and releases all he catches.

6. daveaf

daveaf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am thinking about checking out this lake. It is closer to the house than Greenwood or Hartwell. I am wondering if it is worth paying the $5.00 at the ramp? I also noticed that you can only use the bait that is sold at the landing, and no chicken livers. Any one had any luck with other species on this lake??

7. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    Dave you can use what ever bait you want to use, He just doesnt allow livers to be used there at the ramp because his house is there and people use those picnic tables and he doesnt want the mess that livers can make everywhere. He charges 2 dollars to fish from the dock. I went up there sat evening but only got 2 perch and about 5 crappie for bait sun before the big thunderstorm came up.

8. daveaf

daveaf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Cool thank you for the info. I think that I will give this lake a try this weekend.