Saluda River Catfish

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by SaludaCat, Nov 29, 2007.

1. SaludaCat

SaludaCat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Does anyone have any pointers on fishing the saluda river. i have been fishing it a little over a season now and while talking to alot of people, and just like in this forum opinions vary as greatly as the days of the week. I've always had my best luck at the base of a dam 100yds or so D.R. I have never found one thing that seems to work with any reliability. i have used baits that range from raw shrimp to dog food to artificial everything, the shrimp and dog food seems to do it most often.yet the biggest i have caught on the river is probably 5lbs. on to the point of this thread i would like any tips anyone would be willing to give about lure/bait, is the fish i've been cathcing as big as it gets on the river, is it better to fish above or below the dams, etc, etc. sorry about the complete mess i've just wrote but this is the first time i have posted on one of these forums. in case i haven't said i am fishing several dams in the piedmont area and i have several spots that take some time to walk to but i would rather take the hike than try and compete for a spot from other people.

2. SaludaCat

SaludaCat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am smart enough i just realized i posted this in the lakes section i think i'm gonna take this to the rivers talk.

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    The most important thing is what part of the Saluda are you fishin?

Theres at least 5 dams on the Saluda maybe even more.

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Welcome to the BOC, James - I"m sure that somebody here can help you out. Wish that I could offer you some help, but I'm not familiar with the Saluda.

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I need to know where on the Saluda ya talking about?:wink:

6. SaludaCat

SaludaCat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Most Commonly @ the pelzer dam but sometimes Piedmont. Piedmont is a lot more difficult to get below the dam and i never have any luck at the top in piedmont

7. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i used to fish above the piedmont dam , right down the road from the bait shop. i have had good luck there, but it does get alot of pressure. do you know where the old gerber plant is at the pelzer dam? there is a way you can get down below the dam by going behind the plant. i dont remember exactly where it is, but i remember going down there and fishing. another good place is going under the bridge between pelzer and piedmont, right beside where they use to have the mudding course set up. there was a rope swing over the water, i have fished there and had fairly good luck as well. also look on google maps, type in pelzer sc and then click on the satelitte image go southwest and find the pelzer dam and you can see the old roadbed from where the old bridge was set up. you can park up on the road and walk down and fish below the bridge right there. you can also see how to get down there behind the old gerber plant. i am going to try and post a link. http://maps.google.com/maps?tab=wl

8. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    as far as baits go, i have always had my best luck out there on raw shrimp, chicken livers, and cut bait. use live bluegill and bullheads or cut bluegill/bullheads/carp for the bigger fish. you can catch lots of eating size (2-5 lbs) using shrimp and chicken livers. and you can catch anything by using night crawlers. always a good go to bait on the river.

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I fish the Easley Dam here and there and did get a 10lb cat about 6 or so weeks ago. I haven't fish where you guys are talking about yet but I will make it out there soon. How deep is the water in that area ? Easley is to hard to find deep holes.

I caught mine on a baby carp. I got a few small ones also, one was even a flathead. Its the only thing that they wanted at that time. The river is loaded up with crawdads and hellgrammites also so at times they can work. I also find a lot of baby bass in rip rap edges, they usually are a favorite. I'm always trying bream/gills but Easley Saluda cats seem to not care when I try them. I avoid liver because of the turtles...tons of them out there for sure.

In the last 9 years this last summer was the first time I didn't go there, but in July and August you can really get a lot of fish in the middle of the day, 95F and sun full blast, LOL. Its been they way for a long time.

Thats all I can add, I hope some of this helps ya.

10. garrick

garrick New Member

State:
    SC
    I fish below the Ware Shoals dam a lot.

The action was pretty regular when it was warmer, but it's been really spotty lately. I guess that's normal, but I don't know. I'm a "newbie".

11. CANTREJC

CANTREJC New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Fished it all my life around piedmont ,get away from the easy holes and the dams,all my fish come from deep water fishing am and pm i dont fish much at night,cut bait works the best for big cats.liver or hegemites for the small ones.can't beat hegemites below some shoals.

12. garrick

garrick New Member

State:
    SC
    'Twas major slow in my Saluda spot last weekend (the 12th).
    I got out about an hour before sunup. The forecast said it'd be 38 degrees, but there was a lot of frost/ice around. The water didn't seem so cold, though. We did just have a week of warmer weather and a little rain, so I was hopeful.

Still, all I got were some WEAK bites. . .I'd call them more like little slurps.
    I did manage to nail two small channel cats, but they were too small to bother cleaning.

I think I should've brought different baits along. All I had were livers.

13. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    First of all this is a catfish site not a turkey site. GET A NEW AVATAR!!! But thanks for your expertise on the Saluda River. It is much appreciated. You ought to start guiding!

14. CANTREJC

CANTREJC New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    My fish pics wount fit on this web page,and like you wount be in the woods come april,why guide when i can go with you lol

15. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    LOL! We need to go. Wish you did have a few pics of some of those fish you have caught. People they are good ones. I got a chance to see them. He knows big cats as far as the Saluda goes.

16. rookietocatfish

rookietocatfish New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I am a new member and live between holiday and ware shoals dams.my father fished alot on saluda when he was a kid he told me the best places were where creeks run into the river. eating size and a few big ones.don't know what kind of bait he was using but I will ask.

17. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    That's what I have always heard too. Where the creeks run into the river. Of course that goes for about anywhere. It is always a good place to start.

18. fowlmood

fowlmood New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey guys,
    I live in Williamston and have been fishing the Saluda mainly from the two ramps in the Pelzer area. Is there a way to get a jon boat above the dam in Piedmont? Last year I was riding around and found a spot that was a possibility, but it was nothing more than a trail through the woods to some backwater. Any help would be appreciated.

Sammy

19. CANTREJC

CANTREJC New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    You can put in on river road but it is shallow and the river is hard to run if you don't know it.All the land is private away from the main road and the fishing is the best from the bank,its hard not to spook fish from a boat because of the size of the river.The river was stocked in the 80,s at the pelzer ramps with blues and channels ,do you do any good with them.

20. fowlmood

fowlmood New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Haven't got into the cats yet. Spent last year chasing the bream and bass.