Saltwater Trip

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by Creteus, May 26, 2008.

1. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I just spent 5 useless days in Destin Florida. Fished every day and caught nothing. The surf was the roughest I've ever seen in the Gulf. Four foot waves that rolled and 6 foot swells outside the sand bars. Well I had to try anyways. First day I loaded up the yak and drug it down the beach at 5:30 in the morning. I have a sit in kayak thats 11 foot long. Ready to go with my rods on the back and tackle behind the set I set out into the surf. Made it about 20 feet before I had to cut through my first wave. No problem do it all the time. It grew and grew into a good 4 foot wave that started to roll right as the yaks bow started to cut through. Needless to say it rolled over the bow and caved in right over the cabin. Put me on the bottom in about 2 seconds. Lovely huh, made it 20 feet and there I was sittin on the bottom in 2 feet of water. Gave up after dumping the water out of the yak, bowed at the red flag and headed home. Day two the same time and same conditions and twice as determined I cut through the surf and made it past the bars and took about 6 inches of water which I bailed with a cup no problem. You could see white caps as far as the eye could see, not the best conditions on a yak. Bull headed, determined, and not paying attention I started rigging my poles. Everythings secured to the yak by leashes, good thing too. One of those 6 foot swells I was talking about white capped to the port side of me rolled over the side and sank me in 30 foot of water. Took me forever to get the yak dumped and gather all the floating debris. Then there were the two Penn reels hanging by leashed under the saltwater which had me red in the face. Defeated again I started to paddle back to the bank for my second bow to the red flag flying over the beach. Day three back again no fear, tore right through the surf taking minimal water. Got past the bars saw the big swells and turned back. No need to repeat the day before. I was surfing a wave in about 20 feet from the bank when a second wave hit me in the side. This time I got the pleasure of being upside down in 2 feet of water. Well no bow to the flag today, just the one finger salute. Day 4 slept in no point in shaming myself yet again. At 9:30 Went for some coffee and couldn't believe my eyes. Green flags, glassy waters, and minimal waves. I turned around and drove as fast as I could to grab all my gear. I drove all the way to Ft. Walton where the beach access was a good 1/4 mile walk to where the sun soaking tourist were to lazy to venture. After a long haul to the surf I couldn't believe what I was seeing, it was back, the harsh surf. I got sank in to seconds. Pissed off I drug the yak out of the water and took everything out cept the seat and the paddle. I spent 3 hours of anger trying to beat the sea with minimal success. I ended up wore out and sun burn't and still had to drag all the gear back to the truck. Day 5, woke up early and went to get breakfast for the wife and I. We sat in the condo and ate. Afterwards we loaded up everthing and headed to the bay, unloaded the yaks, left the poles and paddled out into the calm shallows of the bay. Next was a good game of put-put, followed but food at the bar, then drinks till midnight. We're at home now and I have some good info for all. If the Red flags are out, go to the bar:wink:

2. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    A sit on top kayak with 4 or 5 pool noodles inside prevents sinking.. Doesn't prevent being up side down, but prevents sinking.. Don't matter, the embarassing factor is the same.... been there done that...welcome to the upside down club!!! :eek:oooh:

3. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I dont think they have that club in the midwest. They waves dont get big enough, and we dont know what the term surf means. Good story Matt. Hope you still had fun.

4. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Its got foam floatation in the front and back. It'll keep the yak on top but not with me in it:embarassed:

5. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Wow, Matt that sounds really intense! Sorry it was so rough for you, but glad you're safe. Thanks for the report.

6. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    to rush 60...You don't need surf or rough water to go belly-up. I managed to do it while getting in the yak from a dock that sits about 2 foot above the water..Actually my OK Big game doesn't go belly up. If I do somethimg dumb enough it will just roll up on edge, flip me out then roll back up right. :smile2:

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Saw some plans for a sit on top self bailing yak.
    The reports on it are good. She bails fast. Might build one of those before the summer is out.