SaltWater Reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Sponxx, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Sponxx

Sponxx New Member

I so most of my fishing in saltwater, looking for flatfish in Peru. (they can weigh as much as 8-10kg) in sometimes rough sea, normally not very rocky bottoms. I was planning on getting a spinning reel, similar to the Penn 4500 SS seriesbut i dont want to spend the big bucks on it. I have been considering the Shakespeare Catera 6640X, Daiwa Samurai 3500-7i and Pflueger President 6740X, all of these reels are fresh water ones. After fishing im used to thoroughly rinsing all my tackle with lots of fresh water and oiling the mechanics... do you think these reels will withstand the punishment of salt and fighting of these fish. (they are not GREAT fighter, but as they are flat the tend to stick to the bottom).
    If u dont consider those reels good for whatever reasons please suggest me some respectable cheap spinners.
    thanks

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Spox i wish I could help but I don't use spinning reels, I would like to say welcom and see how it is going there in Peru as it has been almost 15 years sence I was last there.

3. Sponxx

Sponxx New Member

Thanks gator.. do you know where can i find some input about spinning reels and qualities of the ones i have mentioned?
    thanks again, let me know if u plan to come.

4. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Sorry I don't off the top of my head but you my try thr tackle review section

5. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Shimano Twinpower FA, Thunnus, Big Baitrunner L or go to a Baitcaster! I know that these work for Salt or Fresh water in my usage. They have all proven to be SOLID choices in the Spinning Reel department. The construction of these reels will be felt as soon as you pick one up. Other brands are known to be Good as well, but these are my choices. I used them for Norway last July and had a BALL. The line capacity of the Twinpower FA was the only DRAWBACK. I will take it over many other reels with higher capacity when fighting the fish in 200ft. of water. When I am going deeper, the Thunnus or the Big Baitrunner L has the line capacity to go 300ft. plus if needed. JMHO!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

6. Sponxx

Sponxx New Member

Hoppy, thanks for the input... though fishing in saltwater i dont go that deep, most of the fishing is from the beach, for flatfish as i said.... casts may be as long as 50-60yds, and fish may offer quite a fight sometimes, but they rarely exceed 20lbs... sometimes u may hook up a "peruvian corvina" (perch family-Sciaena gilberti) which do fight a lot, and often are dying when u finally manage to pull them out after 15-20 minutes.

I have a Daiwa 3500-7i, any comments about that reel?

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I can't help you pick a good, cheap, saltwater spinning reel, but if you find one that meets every criteria except line capacity, remember that braided superline works even better than monofiliment on spinning reels, and that because of its smaller diameter, you can get quite a bit more of it on a reel.

8. Sponxx

Sponxx New Member

I just bought the Daiwa Samurai 3500-7i. I have spooled it with about 150yds of shakespeare cajun red 12lb, and then topped it with power pro 15lb line. Should be working nice.
    The reel is smooth and holds 200yd of 12lb mono line. It's very much what i was looking for, and at a very reasonable price. somewhere down the line i will get Penn SS or the new SSg series. Just cant wait to put the reel and lines to the test.
    thanks for the input