Saltwater gar

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by turkalerk, Oct 11, 2006.

1. turkalerk

turkalerk New Member

State:
    ms
    I have been catching aligator gar in Bay St Louis MS. In pure saltwater. I use live mullet about one foot long. I rig up a double wire leader off a three way swivel and use very big hooks. Not shure off size but big. Put one hook in the lips and one about four inches from the tail. It is hard to belive but they do not hit that hard. Sometimes it feels like a two pound cat fish. They seem to mouth that mullet and taste it before slowly taking off with it. I have wated as long five min before setting the hook. The largest I have cought was six foot five inches long and thirty eight inches around in the middle. Weight ??? I work on the bay and have seen them maybe nine feet long. They just sit at the top of the water and tease me. He will mess up and eat the wrong mullet one day. Anyboy have a idea of what my largest weighs.

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    There's a formula for estimating fish weight from length and girth:
    (L x G x G)/800.

It works better for some fish than others depending on the shape of the fish. Not sure how well it would work for gar, but when I tried it on your measurements, I got 149 pounds. Should certainly be a decent estimate, anyway. Darn nince fish.

We don' t have alligator gar in SC, mostly just longnosed gar. They will come down the rivers into full salt water as well.

3. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Never heard of them in saltwater. your post is very interesting. thanks

4. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Man, sounds like your havin a ball. I know them monsters fight!!!!!!

5. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I really need to get out and go catch one like I have been telling myself for the past month or two. There is a pond that I know is holding them. You tightline the mullet or put it under a cork?

6. turkalerk

turkalerk New Member

State:
    ms
    I tightline. I use one to three ounce sinker depending on the weather. They seem to hit more while the wind is realy blowing so most of the time I use the three ounce. Plus using a foot long fish for bait it takes alot to keep him still.

7. turkalerk

turkalerk New Member

State:
    ms
    By the way thanks for the info Jainc.

8. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I need to go on a little trip to texas for these monsters, Im starting to get envious heh heh
    :dribble:

9. ClayDog

ClayDog New Member

State:
    Maysville,Kentucky
    sounds like fun

10. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Well this pond is 60 feet deep, so I'm not sure, maybe freespool some and maybe anchor some down. Also, do you ever catch gator gar in the winter? I've seen a picture of a huge alligator gar caught in January!!!

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Most big gar fishing in Texas is done in the summer months, the gar are rolling on top a lot and are easier to locate. More than likely, in the winter months, gar fishing is best done fishing deeper, but they will surface on warm days. The problem with gar fishing in the winter time is sometimes the damn big blue cats won't leave you alone.:big_smile: :big_smile:

12. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    thats the first time ive herd damn big blue cats, and leave you alone, in the same sentence...

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    A bit of satire my boy, satire.

14. DryHole

DryHole New Member

State:
    Katy Texas
    Gar live in Galveston Bay and can get in the hundreds of pound's range.
    I have a friend that picked up a 125 lb Fish about 3 months ago.
    They live in the Rivers that dump into the Bay that flows to the Gulf.

Do you have any photos of your fish Id like to see the monster.

15. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    that sounds like some kind of fun and welcome to the BOC:cool2: Gene