Saltwater flyfishin

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by flannelman, May 26, 2006.

1. flannelman

flannelman New Member

ive got a 8-foot 6-7weight flyrod. would this be good to use for saltwater flyfishin for stripers and bluefish? any advice would be appriciated. thanks

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    How big is the reel? You'll need to hold plenty of backing for stripers and cast a line with steel leader for blues.

I used a 9wt on redfish and had a ball. It's a sight casting type fishing and you need to lay that line way out there.

3. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    um most likely no. 1st you need a saltwater fly rod and reel if you want to use it more then once or twice. fly reels especialy seems to be sensitive about that stuff for some reason even though they are simple.

also a 7 or 8 wt rod will work for school sized fish but you hook into a larger striper around 40 inchs you will lose your $30 line and backing. also as mentioned casting large flies and sometime wire leader you deffinitly need a larger rod.

i say invest in a saltwater fly combo at least 9 wt maybe 8wt if you wanna gamble and i love ultralight fishing so that really is the limit.

hope this helps