Saltwater fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by janzaldo, Nov 20, 2006.

1. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hello everybody, hope all is well. I went fishing to Catalina Island on friday 11/17/06. I went on the Sportking out of L.A. Harbor. The fishing was great! Total count for the boat was 33 yellowtail 45 bonito and one 20lbs pound bonito.
    I ended up catching ten bonito kept only two; and three calico bass. Zero on the yellowtail!! My buddy caught three yellowtail. I was using the same setup as my friend 20lbs biggame. I had this one nice hook up, but the fish took me straight to the kelp and broke off! If you had sunglasses, you could see the yellowtail swiming under the boat!!. I had a fgreat day considering I did not land any yellowtail.
    Captain Bruce told me the yellowtail are bitting so well due to this nice weather weve been having. The fish were bitting on live sardines.
    I took pictures of the fishing trip. I plan on picking up the film today after work. Hopefully my good buddy Matt(Tea) can post them for me. I wanted to get the pictures put on CD but Savon was out of them. I also will be posting pictures of the National gathering.

Jaime

2. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Sounds like you had a good time I look forward to seeing some pictures!

3. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    Sounds like a great trip .

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Hey that is nice. I never been on the sportking before but I may give it a shot. I wished you would have kept the bonita. LOL. But nevertheless if the tails are biting that well I need to give it a go.

5. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi David, Greg and Brian; I had a great time. I sure do love the smell of the ocean in the morning(he,he,he) The weather was just beatiful; probably it was about 85 degrees.
    Brian, The sportking is my all time favorite charter boat. Bruce(captain) can put you on fish. To maximize our catch ratio, we were instructed to dump our used baits in buckets instead of throwing them over board. The reason, to keep the fish hungry and to keep seals away. I never though about it.
    I highly recommend the Sport king. It is a 3/4 day boat departs at 7 am. I have been fishing on the Sportking since I was a teenager. I will be going out in two weekson a friday(day off) If I catch bonito will let you know. If you like, I can call you and you can pick it up that same day or I can hold it for you.

6. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Good luck and good fishin!

7. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Sounds like a great trip good luck on the next one

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Hey I appreciate that Jaime. My number is the same if you still have it. The bonita would be lovely to receive as that is my favorite cat bait.

I will give that boat a try. Maybe during my 3 week Christmas Break more than likely. I want some rock cod bad as well. I like the concept of not feeding the fish and keeping away the seals as we all know they are a nuisance on the water. Sounds like a great captain.

9. luv 2 catch kats

luv 2 catch kats New Member

State:
    ca
    JANZALDO,

BY THE WAY YOU DESCRIBED HOW THAT YELLOW BLAZED YOU TO THE KELP, THE YELLOWS MUST HAVE BEEN DECENT GRADE. ITS ALWAYS A BLAST CATCHIN YELLOWS ON THE FIN BAIT. BRUCE IS A GREAT CAPTAIN, HE REALLY KNOWS HOW TO FIND FISH. I FISHED WITH HIM A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO AND HE PUT US ON SOME NICE CALICOS. WERE YOU GUYS FISHNG THE FRONT SIDE OR THE BACKSIDE OF THE ISLAND. SALTWATER ACTION IS GREAT. I'M GOIN ON A 14 DAY TRIP THE FIRST PART OF JANUARY TARGETING...HOPEFULLY THE 200 PLUS LB CLASS TUNA AND WAHOO AT HURRICANE BANK. :cool2:

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good luck on your trip. I went on a ten day about 5 years ago and it was a blast on the Excel. Ran into 100 pound class yellowfin and grouper and tons on yellowtail. Did not get the wanted bluefin that I wanted but there always another day. You should have a great trip and get qualities on your trip. Be sure to post the details when you get back.

11. luv 2 catch kats

State:
    ca
    BLUEHUNTER,

I WILL MOST DEFINETLY POST MY RESULTS AS WELL AS SOME PHOTOS FROM THE TRIP. BY THE WAY THE EXCEL IS A GREAT BOAT. SHAWN IS A GREAT CAPTAIN. HE REALLY KNOWS HOW TO PUT YOU ON THE RIGHT SCHOOL. WE WERE ON A 10 DAY WITH HIM IN 2000 AND WE WATCHED SHAWN FREE-GAFF A 20LB DORADO. IT WAS INCREDIBLE. WE WERE AT ALIJOS ROCKS THAT TRIP. LET ME KNOW BY THE WAY,THE NEXT TIME YOU MAKE A RUN DOWN TO SAN VEE, MAYBE WE CAN HOOK-UP.

12. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Kyle, now thats a nice yellofin! It must be over 200lbs That is my dream to go on a multiple day trip. If everything goes as planned, I will be fishing on six day trip aboard the Searcher. My fishing buddy has gone two years in a row. It will be in mid September. Hopefully when the dates get closer you can give me some advise on diffrent setups to bring knots diffrent teqniques.

Jaime

13. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    Jaime, I just saw your post. It sounds like you had a real good time. It's been over 20 yrs since my last trip in the ocean. It was the best albacore trip ever. I don't know why I haven't tried it since.
    I'm glad to hear that you did as well as you did. Can't wait to read about your next one.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Jaime, if you ever get the chance to fish out of San Louis Obisbo in a private boat, drop me a PM and I'll give you instructions on how to get to a 60' deep reef I located off Pt. Sal. We always limited out on nice rockfish with a bunch of lingcod thrown in for good measure.

15. luv 2 catch kats

State:
    ca
    WHATS UP JANZALDO,

YEAH, THAT TUNA WAS 208LBS LAST YEAR. I WAS ON THE ROYAL STAR. THAT'S THE BOAT BY BUDDY TOM AND I GO ON FOR OUR ANNUAL 11 DAY TRIP. I'LL BE GLAD TO GIVE YOU SOME ADVICE ON YOUR 6 DAY TRIP. MORE THAN LIKELY YOU'LL EITHER BE HEADED FOR GUADALUPE ISLAND OR OFF SHORE TARGETING THOSE ELUSIVE BLUEFIN. :cool2:

TIGHT LINES & SCREAMIN' REELS 4-LIFE

16. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    great catch brother:cool2:

17. luv 2 catch kats

State:
    ca
    THANKS FOR THE COMPLIMENT PASTOR E :cool2:

18. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Love to catch a big tuna one day not sure I can get that far out into the deep blue though , i'm a seasick land lov'r:lol:

19. luv 2 catch kats

State:
    ca
    VINI,

IF YOU GIVE IT A TRY ON THE RIGHT BOAT I'M SURE YOU WONT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS. YOU'LL BE TOO BUSY PULLIN' ON BIG FISH!!!!!!!! :big_smile:

20. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Vini, there are some good seasick meds available. I know the feeling, once I was on a two day trip on the Freedom(22streetlanding San Pedro, Ca) I was so sick I spend the entire trip sleeping. Their is this new medication called scopace you need to get it prescribed though.
    Hi Terry, I had a great time. Albacore fishing is sure fun; you gotta try it again. Their is no feeling as trolling and all of a sudden you hear your reel clicker go off and some yells hook up!
    Hi Jerry, how have you been lately buddy? now you are talking my language; I love to rock fish. I have only caught one leagal lingcod. Here goes a dumb question, I heard of San Luis Obispo; Is that up Central California?

Jaime