Salting Shad

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by fishjunky, Dec 16, 2009.

1. fishjunky

fishjunky New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Has anyone ever salted extra shad to use the next time you go out? I have trouble catching shad from my kayak in the colder months so I want to stock up if find some.
    Thanks.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I salted some this year, have not had a chance to use it yet. The salt seems to make it tougher.

3. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I have been making 30 - 45 mile trips to buy shad as noone sells it anywhere in town. As it stands now , I have about 9 pounds. I also lucked up and located a store that sells menhaden at $4USD per bag. I am saving it for a special (hopefully) trip next year. Regarding salting , I've never did it before. It would likely work. Hopefully , I will be able to get a few more bags of the two in order to bring it over 10 pounds.

4. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I don't salt mine but I know people who do and it works pretty good for them. I vacuum seal mine fresh and freeze them and that seems to work best for me. The ones that I have had on ice all day dont freeze near as well as the fresh ones do. If you do salt them, use pickling salt, it is non iodized and seems to toughen them up better.