Salted Shad/Bream

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Zero, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Zero

Zero New Member

State:
    SC
    I've salted shrimp and saltwater baitfish fillets with great success, anyone tried salted baits for catfish? Great for when there's lots of bait and you need to save it.

If you don't know, here's how you do it. Toughens up bait and it keeps the scent. Don't have to freeze and unfreeze it, keep it in your tackle box or garage. Should be no smell if cured properly and it rehydrates in the water, releasing the scent. When cutting bait don't forget it'll shrink some.

Prep your fish/shrimp. Shrimp should be peeled and headed, fish should be gutted, scaled and cut slightly larger than the bait you want. Fillets, chunks (if chunks are more than 1/4" across the back, keep the container in the fridge for almost a week to let it cure before it rots at room temperature).

Take one layer of kosher or pickling salt, say 1/4", in a tupperware or plastic container.

Then put a no touching single layer of shrimp or fillets/chunks. Cover with 1/4" salt, more if you have thick chunks of bait.

Repeat until container is full.

Set in your fridge for a few days. After that you can leave it out, it'll be like cured ham. I leave it in the salt, but you can move to ziplocks if you want.

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i am gonna try to do some skipjack

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the post. Welcome to the BOC Hunter.

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome aboard to the BOC Hunter. Many thanks for the nait idea's.

5. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Welcome to the BOC Hunter.
    Just a note to anyone who trys to use kitchen salt. If it has Iodine in it, Fish won't even look at it. Learned that my self. What a waste.

6. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Would Sea Salt work?

Ray

7. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Sea salt will work out great Ray.​

8. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Thanks for the reply Jay. Kind of thought that it would, but wanted to check. :wink:

Ray

9. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Use canning salt or what I use is stock mineral feed salt its cheap and works great.

10. Zero

Zero New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the welcomes folks. Yep sea salt, canning/pickling salt work fine. Non iodized is right. If I make it to the lake or coast for shrimp before it gets too cold I'll try to take a few pictures of how I do it, but it's pretty simple.