Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish a lot with fresh cut bait. I read somewhere fish like salt. Has anyone tried using salt with the fresh cutbait or will it take the freshness out?

Premium Member
Jeffrey, It should be fine but I have not tried it with fresh bait. I catch Skip and salt helps get it cold quicker and helps preserve it. The cats seem to have no problem with it at all. I can not say that is does attract cats but it does not seem to detract them at all.

tight lines

Premium Member
Jeffrey, It should be fine but I have not tried it with fresh bait. I catch Skip and salt helps get it cold quicker and helps preserve it. The cats seem to have no problem with it at all. I can not say that is does attract cats but it does not seem to detract them at all.

tight lines
I'm guessing you use salt and ice like people use salt and ice when they use a home made ice cream maker, making a slush colder than freezing but ice prevents it from freezing?

Premium Member
Yes I do. Any salt like Canning salt, Ice Cream Salt Water softener salt and others. All but not iodine salt. The iodine doesn't help.

I will sometimes add a little salt just before vacuum sealing if I do vacuum seal.

Registered
Steve from Mississippi
I usually throw some salt in with my ice when I catch fresh shad. It is supposed to keep them from getting as soft after they are dead. I think it works and I have not seen any reason not to use it. Seems the catfish don't care.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

tight lines
Why do you need to cool the Skip?

Premium Member
It all depends Jeffrey on what you are doing with the skip.

If you are catching skip to be used soon, (three days) just toss the skip on ice and use them when needed.

Now, skipjack are somewhat like shad because they just about start deteriorating as soon as they are caught. If not kept cold, they will turn soft very rapidly.

Those of us that don鈥檛 have them handy by being available close, travel to where they are at and catch a lot to freeze. Then we can use them through the year as needed. I have a small 5 cubic ft freezer for bait. I need between 60 and 100 to last the year. When we do that, we take a Large cooler and have plenty of ice. The rule of thumb is to catch then and get them as cold as possible as quickly as possible. So we add salt to the ice, then some water. When you catch a skip, you want to push it down under the ice/water slurry. The salt let鈥檚 the water get a few degrees colder without freezing solid. When we have what we need we drain the water, then fill the cooler with ice so we can make the drive (5 hours for me) back to the house, where we rinse, bag and freeze them. Some prefer to vacuum seal them and some will individually wrap each skip in plastic wrap. It is important to keep air away. And some will toss a little extra salt in the bag before sealing. Salt has a long history for preserving meat.

hope that is helpful for understanding what we are doing. This process could work for other species also but it is not as good with shad. They tend to shriller up and the body fluids turn brown.

Now in Tennessee, you are allowed 100 per day. In Ky, at the moment, you are allowed 500 per day. But that is causing problems that should be addressed. It is becoming a business for the local people to where they are found and they are catching and selling them by the thousands to bait shops a crossed the country. I know the species will not be able to take the pressure and hope better limitations are put in place.

Also, Asian Carp along with being good white flakey meat which should be good for table fare would be a good bait to use for Catfish. Maybe not oily like skip but the more uses we find for Asian Carp the better all the way around.

tight lines

Registered
Along with the skip limits if 500 per day needing to be cut way down the Asian carp are causing shad and skipjack populations to drop all so if ya look at those two issues alone and not including other things the future of skips in certain parts of the country isn鈥檛 looking real good in not that many years off either. I鈥檓 not in that part of the country of Kentucky and what have ya but just things I鈥檝e read and listened to it鈥檚 getting to be a big problem. I dread horribly the day those Asian carp make they鈥檙e way to Oklahoma. That 500 a day limit is a joke in my opinion,that鈥檚 taking way too many out without enough being done to be sure they are repopulating at a good rate. Ok rant over lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We don
It all depends Jeffrey on what you are doing with the skip.

If you are catching skip to be used soon, (three days) just toss the skip on ice and use them when needed.

Now, skipjack are somewhat like shad because they just about start deteriorating as soon as they are caught. If not kept cold, they will turn soft very rapidly.

Those of us that don鈥檛 have them handy by being available close, travel to where they are at and catch a lot to freeze. Then we can use them through the year as needed. I have a small 5 cubic ft freezer for bait. I need between 60 and 100 to last the year. When we do that, we take a Large cooler and have plenty of ice. The rule of thumb is to catch then and get them as cold as possible as quickly as possible. So we add salt to the ice, then some water. When you catch a skip, you want to push it down under the ice/water slurry. The salt let鈥檚 the water get a few degrees colder without freezing solid. When we have what we need we drain the water, then fill the cooler with ice so we can make the drive (5 hours for me) back to the house, where we rinse, bag and freeze them. Some prefer to vacuum seal them and some will individually wrap each skip in plastic wrap. It is important to keep air away. And some will toss a little extra salt in the bag before sealing. Salt has a long history for preserving meat.

hope that is helpful for understanding what we are doing. This process could work for other species also but it is not as good with shad. They tend to shriller up and the body fluids turn brown.

Now in Tennessee, you are allowed 100 per day. In Ky, at the moment, you are allowed 500 per day. But that is causing problems that should be addressed. It is becoming a business for the local people to where they are found and they are catching and selling them by the thousands to bait shops a crossed the country. I know the species will not be able to take the pressure and hope better limitations are put in place.

Also, Asian Carp along with being good white flakey meat which should be good for table fare would be a good bait to use for Catfish. Maybe not oily like skip but the more uses we find for Asian Carp the better all the way around.

tight lines
't have skip here in NY, but we do have carp, which are usually bigger than our channel cats. If the salt doesn't help, I'll do without it. Thanks for the info everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts