Salt water Weakfish or "Trout" as we call them.

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by peewee williams, Oct 29, 2006.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Penn 209's and under reels.7-10 ft.rods.Monofilament line.Corks (often Popping)were the rigs used to saltwater fish live Shrimp for weakfish or"Trout",and Red fish or "Spot Tail Bass" in the past.With all of the new equipment out there,What is being used today? What do people like and dislike using today?What is your "complete" rig from the butt of the rod to the hook size and type?How do you fish it?What all would you buy and how would you rig it completely if you had to start out with nothing and be water ready for boat,bank or dock?Floating lines?Which lines do you like and why?What test?Leaders?Thanks peewee

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I use a fairly light rod with a spinning reel strung with 12lb test. And bucktails tipped with squid I might switch up the bait to chicken breast strips soaked in shredder crab oil if the bite slows

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Free llining a hooked shrimp or finger mullet for trout and reds is a hoot. You need light gear for this.

Sight fishing the larger trout while wading the flats in Fl can't be beat for putting your skills to the test.

4. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Great.Please keep it coming.What I need is a detailed list that you could give a new fisherman to go get outfitted by and he would be ready to fish.Need spinning,casting reels,line and all gear detailed enough for purchase.Thanks,peewee

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    When fishing for trout i use a 6.5ft spinning rod spooled with 12lb test. Rigged with a double grub rig on a 20lb test leader. The first grub jig hook is usually 1/2 oz with the second being 1/4. Bouncing off the bottom as you go.

Wheelmobile07

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fish Abu's for cats, but for seatrout (spotted or otherwise) a spinning rod is the way to go. For just trout I'd go with an 8 lb trest outfit, but if you're going to go after red drum with the same outfit, then go for a 10 lb set up. As far as reels go, the Shimano Stradic si great and the Sahara is almost a s good, but less expensive. The Quantum line of spinning reels are even better - I have a "Catalyst" and absolutely love it. Whatever reel you go for, get one that will hold 200 yards or a bit less of the chosen test. Match the reel to a graphite rod of 6.5 to 7 feet.

I usually fish with about 4 feet of leader to protect against oysters and such. Tie on the heavier line (30 pound works well) with a blood knot or a surgoens knot (no swivel) and then tie on your lure with some sort of loop knot - so it can swing free for better action.

Lures: 1/8 and 1/4 ounce jig heads with 3 and 4" curly tail and paddle tail grubs catch a tonof trout and reds. Also, the 3.5 to 6 inch swimming plugs (jerkbaits) like rebels and long A's can be great too.

You mentioned "floating line" Does that mean you are interested in fly fishing gear? If yes, go with a 7 weight outfit with a floating line and a leader tapered down to 8 or 10 pound tippet and clouser deep minnows, deceivers, and seaduceres for flies.

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I always used a med spinning rod 6 or 7ft 8LB mono line with a popper float using live shrimp when I lived down in Ms:0a26:

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    On the Texas Gulf Coast, the Shimano's are most popular, especially the old model Curado with 12 lb test line or smaller diameter braided. Now, its the Shimano Cruxis or Citica. For spinning tackle, its again Shimano, especially the Stradic for those with a little bit of money to burn, but the Sedona and Sahara for those with less.

The Abu 5600 c4 series or its little brother, the 4600c4 will do the job. Other good choices include the Daiwa Coastal and 153h.

All this assumes you are talking inshore. If in the surf, your Penn's will do the job matched to the right rod.

For inshore, I'd go with a 7" medium or medium light rod. If money is tight, the ugly sticks will do the job, but for finesse, a good graphite is better.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

For wweakfish I like to use a 6'6" spinning rig Cygnus made by Daiwa with 10-12 pound test on a popping rig like you mentioned. I also swith up on a slow bite to free lining( no weight) just bait and hook. I like a #4 cricket hook are long shank hook on the business end. And lots of ice cold water.

10. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    How does the Abu 4600 & 5600 hold up to saltwater?Thanks,peewee

11. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Cabelas has a quantum " great white" lp baitcast thats a little more affordable than the Cabo, and paired with a 7'6 MH Ive done well with it. I use 20lb flouro leader and usually a round jig head with various bodies. Also caught reds and snook on this rig, pretty versatile.

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    PeeWee,

weak fish and spotted sea trout are diferent fish. I have caught Jersey weakfish on clams, shedder crab, and mullet on a fishfinder rig. The also hit bloodworms on a float around jetties and as for lures, I use pink Fin-S or zooms around light bridge pilings at night.

13. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    they are fine, but remember to rinse em out real good n get the salt and or sand out of em after each use.

sofar not mentioned here for bait is live croaker! Its a deadly bait for specks.
    also, theres a artificial shrimp called d.o.a. that works good.

14. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I think you have to go back 50 years to determing how the Abu's hold up in saltwater. For many of those years, the old 5000 series was the mainstay of the Texas Gulf Coast bay fisherman. The Abu's have always been good for bay fishing, but, as said before, they need to be rinsed after use. I think that's true of any reel, no matter its saltwater background. Pay attention to flushing sand out of the worm gear and rinsing good with fresh water, maybe getting some Real Magic to spray on the reel and line, and it'll do as well as any reel. Break them down every once and a while and lube 'em up. I usually try to put a drop or so of oil on the worm gear after a trip, whether fresh or salt.

15. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Cynoscion regalis,SquetWeakie,Weakfish,Gray Trout,Sea Trout

16. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    They are both called Trout by some in my area.I wanted to cover it all.I messed up on the above some how as I am too slow to edit a mistake on the BOC.It is set up for normal people sorry.peewee-williams

17. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have a old red abu 5000 with bronze bushings that I have used in saltwater for 20 years or so and it is still working good except the drag is a little week.The reel is much older than the 20 years.I used a 5000c one trip and the bearings froze up.This was partly my fault for taking too long and getting it cleaned up.I often use a Zebco 33 for trout when fishing lighter bait.
    Jake

18. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My spinning gear is a 7' MH Uglystick Intercoastal with a Penn Prion reel, and 12# test line. I use this rod for pitching jigs matched with Berkley Gulp! baits, light fish finder rigs or free drifting baits.

My baitcaster is an Abu 6500 Trophy Edition with 20# test on a 6'6" MH Falcon Rod. This rig is almost exlusively used for chucking fish finders or double rigs with heavier weights.

Now something that wasn't mentioned that I had luck with recently, was a fillet off the side of a pinfish. I caught one that went 19" on my first cast using pinfish.