salt water question

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by ncfowler, Jul 30, 2008.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    does SC require salt water license if you fish from the shore or private pier. I'm going to Edisto island for vacation and may want to do some fishing.

2. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    No. SC doesn't require one unless you are in a boat. Atleast thats what they told me last week.:wink:

3. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    As for as I can tell, You only need the license if you're fishing from a privately owned boat or if you are collecting clams or oysters. It doesn't come right out and say that you don't need the license(or if it did I didn't see it), but I know that if you fish from a pier in Horry County you are covered by the pier's license. The link below is the complete SC Hunting and Fishing rules and Reg. in pdf format. The 14 day saltwater permit for out of state residents is $11, but I don't think it is needed for beach or pier.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/pdf/RulesRegs0809.pdf

4. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks for the info you all gave me. I hope to do some fishing Hummm spot on the grill.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yup - they got it. No license required to fish from shore or pier. Private boat only, and for clamming and oystering (which are closed in the summer anyway).

Good luck on Edisto.

6. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I'm going to Garden City for a week in September and I'm taking my boat. The cottage has a private pier in the inlet. I assume no license required to fish off it but license is required to fish from my boat??

Now the question: My daughter and son-in-law will be with us and they normally don't fish (except in my ponds) so don't have SC regular fishing license. Will they need only to just purchase the $5.00 14 day resident salt water license to fish from my boat?

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    You are correct, Travis. Good luck with the fishing, but allow plenty of time to launch your boat over there at the ramp in Murrell's Inlet, unless you have a private launching ramp.

8. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    Jeff- If you are willing to take a little hike try Jerremy Inlet. I had some friends down there last week and they did well on the redfish, trout, and sharks. They caught shimp and finger mullet with castnets for bait. To get there you have to park at the state park and walk down to the end of the beach (probably 1 1/2 to 2 miles) Carry a wheel barrow or wagon with large rubber tires for your gear. Try to time it with a low tide going and comming so that you are not walking in the soft sand.

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I will be staying down on the nothern end of the coast(Cherry Grove) the last week in Sept. and I will be in the intercostal waterway the whole week in search of the costal flatheads and blues. I have a theory that they are in there big time just nobody ever fishes for them so i think I will go exploring. :wink:

10. fishwillie1

fishwillie1 New Member

State:
    Pamplico S.C.
    James a friend of mine lives in little river and fishes the waterway all the time. I will try to reach him and find out the lowdown on the fish.

11. skiff_2

skiff_2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Used to do OK behind the Alabama Theatre at Barefoot Landing. Used shrimp mostly, but finger mullet would probably do good too. Heard somebody got a 38lb'er down near Waterway Hills Golf Course. Also, there is a boat ramp at 54th ave in Cherry Groove. Descent flounder fishing in there. Should at least be able to cast net plenty of finger mullet in there, and shrimp too.

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks John for the info I cant wait until September those flatheads better watch out.LOL:wink:

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I've been wondering about the waterway, but have a question. The corps of engineers keeps the intracoastal dredged out, and there is NO structure in it. So the flatheads and blues are cruisin' this structureless area? I'd be lost trying to fish an area with NO structure! :wink:
    BB in SC

14. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    I think he'd probably find them, Bill. Blues are known to suspend around and under overhangs. I'd doubt that the Intercoastal Waterway is just one big smooth valley. And as for flats, if there's no cover, they'll dig into the bottom or the sides. They'll find a place to hide, one way or another.

15. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    There's probably more structure than one might think, Bill. The Corps doesn't do nearly as much dredging as needed these days, and the bottom constantly fills in and shifts around in places, plus the bottom is seldom smooth. All a catfish needs is a depression a few inches deep; 6 inches on an otherwise smooth bottom can make a difference. There are quite a lot of logs, root balls, old crab pots, and other debris that ends up along the edges of the channel, too. Last year I saw fish holding in the current break behind channel markers on several occasions.
    Anyway, as soon as I get to be an expert on Santee Cooper, Santee River, and the Great Pee Dee, I'm gonna tackle the ICW. :wink:

16. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I just hope to catch a few fish and I do love a challenge and maybe 1 day I can be an expert like you and Roundhill.:wink:

17. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Trust me they are there.BIGTIME.:wink: I used to spend alot of time down there and enjoyed every minute of it.

18. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    That whole area around north myrtle is constantly up and down.The bottom mark on the depth finder almost looks like an irregular heartbeet on a heart monitor.Theres also several downed trees in some of the more wooded areas that provide structure too.Also the bridges are good but they can be dangerous to fish when the barge traffic is heavy.

19. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Dont you worry Chris I will rack your brain before I leave on vacation.