salt water invasion

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Steve Douglas, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    anybody know anything about these salt water gars aka needle fish ,that has ivaded our fresh water rivers? i was catchin skip jack at cumberland city tn , on 12-15-07 and the water is packed with these little fellers i havent noticed them in the ohio river yet but im sure they will make it here. is there any info out there?????????? im pretty sure they will be no theat but just courious.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Are you talkin butterfish?

3. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    dont know nothin bout no butterfish ...these fish resemble gars mini-gars of some sort greenish silver and have smooth skin like a catfish. some one said they have migrated up from the ocean. i have been fishin many years and have never seen the before they must be new

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I hope they are not the Asian fresh water species unless they feed on Carp fry.They were a fresh water aquarium fish.

We had them in the brackish and up into fresh water rivers in South Florida.

As much salt as has been dumped for icing over the years up north,you should be able to have a Cod and Lobster fishery.It goes somewhere when it melts.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

I'm gonna see if I can find a pic of what I'm thinkin of.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    My mistake. Here is a pic of what I meant. Ballyhoo. Just a hunch on my part.

7. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    I caught some last year down below Wilson Dam and didn't know what they were either. I googled them and needlefish were what I had guessed as well. Like you said the creek I was in was thick with them and I had thought they were small gar until I landed a couple. I really wanted to take a couple home and put in aquarium because they looked cool. Take a look at link here and you will see they are invasive species called Atlantic Needlefish but TVA Biologist don't think they pose a huge problem but time will tell I guess. Anyway some decent info on the page.......

THANKS TO ROGER WHO DID SOME RESEARCH AND FOUND THIS..........

http://www.nalms.org/Publications/NA...otes06-01.html

8. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
  9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Haven't seen em yet in my river. The delaware. I fish quite a bit of brackish water. Somethin else we screwed up on. LOL!

10. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    If they are Ballyhoo a Hard, long, freeze will end there lives for sure! They aren't built to handle cold like that.