Salt Water Cats in Texas???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ggoytia, Jan 23, 2008.

1. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    Guys I was in Corpus Christi this weekend and caught 3 nice size cats (possible channell cats) in the big salt. I was going to bring them home when a gent advised me those fish are not edible something about Gaff head??
    Are they edible and they originally from the salt or fresh /salt mix?

I plan on going out again and trying my luck for them 2 caught on shrimp and 1 on dk bait garlic (that was the funniest bait in the salt I have ever used):smile2:

2. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Those are Gafftops, or sometimes called Sailcats. Yes they are good eating but are very slimy to handle. Mix about a cup of vinegar in a gallon of water and wash the slime off. Then go ahead and dress them. They are a common saltwater fish and will grow to 12-15 pounds. Most weigh 3 to 6.

3. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    The gafftop's are good eating, current Texas state record set in 1981 is 13.33. They are fun to catch, sometimes 2 at a time.

4. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Pirate Jerry said it all,:wink:

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Next time you catch some give it a try and let us know how they taste.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    there are 2 types of salt water cats one the gaftop or sailcat has long wavy fins and are not bad eating.the other is called a hardhead or t--d rusttler.these must spend a lot of time eating rotten mud cause they taste a lot like crap.

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    if u start catching them & dont want them move to another spot!!!!

8. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    the gafftops are good eating and get big. the difference in gafftops and hardheads is easy to see. the gafftop sail comes off each fin and and is soft and long. lately i have seen a lot of people taking the hardheads home. i have never eaten hardhead that i know of. it is possible to catch blucats in the bayous when the floods bring fresh water to the edge of the bays and catch redfish in the same water.

9. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    Guys I appreciate all your help, was kind of worried as on of the gents on the rocks advised me they were poisonous and he was also throwing them back in. Next trip Ill be ready to fry some up, thanks once again