Salt Water Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Gaspagoo, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Gaspagoo

Gaspagoo New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have caught tons of salt water catfish but i had never ate one. I have always been told many times that they dont taste good,is that true?

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    in texas i found 2 types cats.one,called a hard head,taste terible.the other,called a gafttop or sail cat,was fairly good tasting.

3. fuman80

fuman80 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hard heads are worthless. i caught about twenty five of them in gulf shores. theyre small and you cant really use them for anything. i did make up for them when i caught a shark later

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yep hardheads are trash fish and are really good for nothing..Hardheads are the ones that have the crucifix in there head bone.On the other hand gafftops are excellent food fare..

5. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Wow, just thinking of eating a Hardhead make my stomach turn lol:eek:oooh:. In my area in South louisiana, they are the most hated trash fish there ever was lol.

Gafftops are the fish with the crucifix in the head bone. I have made quite a few of them over the years and mounted them to wood plaques. People are amazed by them. I have some photos somewhere here on the BOC that I have posted over the years. I am also proud to say thet one of my scullbone plaques hangs on the wall of the main headquaters of the BOC:roll_eyes:./.

6. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Gafftop is great on the grill...

Hardheads are good if they stay away from your bait... Their fins can really give you a really nasty wound...

7. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

I have been told sence I was a young man that they are not good eating. I guess I could give them a try. Maybe?:wink:

8. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    When I lived in Fl., I caught lots of sail cats. They were excellant to deep fry and didn`t seem to have the fat of other species.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Gafftops are good eating, but not hardheads. But hardheads aren't worthless; they make fairly good sharkbait.