Salt Water Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathead willie, Jun 18, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was fishing off a pier in Virginia Beach a couple years ago and heard alot on comotion on the sand a few yards off the pier. I went down there and saw a guy who had just caught a catfish about 5#. I never would have expected to see one there. Has anyone else heard of salt water catfish?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I've heard about it but I have never seen it. I used to spend a lot on the coast and would hear the "pier bunnies" tell there tall tales.

3. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Ace has a post somewhere on here about saltwater cats, interesting read if you can find it!

Aaron

TA2D

4. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I know they catch them allot up in Florida but I don't think they get real big.

5. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I can't remember about how big they get, the biggest sailcat I have caught was only about 2 ft long (that I remember). I know the sail cat has a bone structure of knobs and protrubences in its head that when they boil the flesh off. you can see a resemblence to man on a cross.:eek:oooh: In the tourest traps they sell them to yankees with a story that refrences to the bible and the crusifiction, about like dried sand dollars.
    I used to hate to catch the small cats but they are eatable.:smile2:

6. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    salt water cats are more of a nuisance than a prize ,although the gaff top species are good to eat. most people call the other more common species hard heads. if your fishing and start catching hard heads then its time to move. if a hard head fins you it stings and then itches real bad. both species are very common on the texas coast. both are also extremely slimey, even more than a shad.the gaff top has an elongated dorsal fin that looks like a sail.
    matt

7. mdudes17

mdudes17 New Member

State:
    Chicago, Illinois
    i fish for them all the time when i go on vacation in Daytona Beach, Florida. They love frozen Squid

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Matt, you are right about moving to another spot. These cats move in and everything else moves out till they are gone.
    I have caught these nasty little dudes (Hardheads aka Turdrustlers) many times and let me tell you this, if one fins you in the right spot, you will not soon forget about it. It can be extremely painfull. If it goes deep into the muscle tissue, it's venom is quick acting. If it is shallow it will itch and burn for a while with no major damage to you.
    I caught a 8" one once that finned me between the thumb and forefinger and within 20 seconds it had swelled to the size of a large marble at the site of the puncture. The pain was intense to say the least. Fortunatly there was an oldtimer close by that saw what was happening and came over and took out his pocet knife and cut a bigger opening in the site and squeezed out some stuff that looked like cottage cheese(and I might add that there was a lot of it in there). It instantly stopped hurting after that.
    What surprized me about this was, I had been finned by them before and never had this happen.

9. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Your all so right about those fish! I've been spiked and I would have to compare it with the pain of a stingray, and thats bad. I've fished those cats for years in culiacan, mexico, in estuaries and open water. As soon as you hook up with one, you won't stop catching them for hours. The biggest I've caught was about 25 lbs, I didn't think they were that great eating unless you stew them. They are fun to catch if you hook up with a big one, though. I didn't think alot of people had as much experience with them.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Blue cats are often caught in the estuaries and bays, particularly at the mouth of rivers. The can take a bit of salt, just like largemouth bass. Gafftop Sail catfish can be good eating and good fun, but sure do slime up things good.

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    WE Call Them Sailcats Here, I've Caught Them in Shallow & Deep Water. They Are Good To Eat Despite Popular Belief.

As A Matter Of Fact, I Caught One On A Jugline About 2 Weeks ago in A River That Feeds Into The Ocean From Lake Okeechobee. It Evidently Was Swimming "Upstream". When I Was Cleaning It, I Was Ready To Break The Head Off From The Body & When It broke, My Hand Slipped And Poked The Backbone Clear Thru My Hand. It's Just now Starting To Feel Better.

12. channelcathunter64

channelcathunter64 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    all i have heard about them is u dont want to eat them and there top and two side fins are poisonous

13. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    i'm headed to p.i.n.s. in two weeks to try for sharks and reds, i hope to avoid the little slimey critters all together.
    God bless
    matt

14. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i remember as kid i got to go to florida for a week to stay with my aunt. although i loved to catfish even then , i was very excited about the prospects of catching something i had never caught before. we finally got a chance to fish and we didnt have a clue where to go so we just found an i solated spot on the beach and pulled over and got out. i remember we were fishing with shrimp , which was a first for this kentucky boy, cause we couldnt find any place that sold nightcrawlers. go figure. so we walk down the beach and got in the water and waded out til was about waist deep and started fishing. i hadnt had my line out very long and BAM! i hooked up! i'm thinking, i wonder what kind of weird ocean dwelling fish this is gonna be? i was so pumped. i finally get him out of the water and low and behold its a catfish! i was freaked out. i did not know they lived in the ocean. well we kept on fishing and let me tell ya, i dont think i have ever caught so many catfish in my life! as soon as the bait would hit the water you were hooked up! i didnt hear until years later that they had such a nasty sting. i guess we got lucky. i always tell people i went all the way to the ocean just to catch catfish!

15. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    We are talking about two different spieces of salt water cats here.
    1. is a hardhead or turdrustler

2. is a gaftop or sailcat

16. jmfraz

jmfraz New Member

State:
    Houston, Texas
    Knapperhead Matt is exactly right. I fish a lot in the gulf from the upper Galveston bay area as far down as Matagorda Island. There are plenty of salt water cats. The hard heads are a nuisance and you don't wanna eat 'em for sure. The gafftops are said to be very good table fair but I have never eaten one. I have caught several tho. You think you have a small shark on your line when you start pulling them up cuz they have a large dorsal fin similar to a shark's. Do a google image search for "Gafftopsail" and you'll see why I say that.

17. BamaCats Lady

BamaCats Lady New Member

State:
    Luverne, Alabama
    Thank you foe enlightening this poor undereducated fisherwoman. (As soon as I get my pink Ugly Stick I plan on getting more educated!) I really didn't know that there were salt water cats! I guess bc they were never offered in any seafood restaurant right up & down the East coast that I have eaten in!

18. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I've also caught a bunch of the smaller size cats off the Georgia/Florida coast. Got finned only once, lightly, and it was a painful itch. I reminded myself not to not let that happen again.

19. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good Afternoon, JW: We catch More f The Gafftops(Sailcats), Than the Hardheads But We Eat Both Of Them. They Are A bit Harder To Skin Than Freshwater Cats.

20. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    my brother lives in florida, was tellin me about em. he said they are real mean, and will try awful hard to fin ya. i din't know what he talkin about, and figured they was some type of madtom, but thanks for enlightenin me.