SALT VALLEY LAKES

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by MOVINON, Feb 10, 2009.

1. MOVINON

MOVINON Member

State:
    Glenwood Iowa
    Comments anyone?

2. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    For me the Salt Valley Lakes offer a lot of good camping,fishing, and recreation. Most,if not all have good fishing through out the year depending on what you are fishing for. I myself 90% catfish so every lake is a good one. Just some are better than others !!:smile2: I try to stay away from the crowd so the camping is sometimes hard. Lots of people in one area on the weekends. I figure if I want to be around that many people I just as well camp in town !! But that is just my opinion :smile2: Other than that its all good !!:cool2: Except I think that the conestoga lake should be made a 5mph. no wake lake !!!! Its not that big and they don't need to be skiing on it or jet ski either !! :crazy::crazy::sad2:

3. MOVINON

MOVINON Member

State:
    Glenwood Iowa
    I took my boat out on connestoga once last year and went all over that lake. My fish finder showed very few fish. I agree with you that it should be no wake, in fact I thought it was. I do disagree a little though. I think Lincoln and Omaha both need a lake for jet skis and I think Conestoga and Cunningham would be great for that purpose. put a small Island out in the middle with some one way signs and allow bank fishing only. Doing this would get the jet skis off of other lakes.

4. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Don't let your fishfinder fool ya !! There are some nice fish in that lake Big flattys some nice channels to, crappie, and walleye also. I have been broke off more than once at Conestoga and not because I was snagged either !! :smile2: Can't hardly fish there during the day its like sittin in a mixing bowl with a blender in the middle !! I dont like the jet ski's any way so no matter where they are I will wish them gone !! skiers to far as that go's I know they have the right to be there but they need to stay farther away from the fishing boats !! Some of those people just don't have a clue about keeping a distance, and they all seem to want to go by and screem and yell, and show off some way or an other !! OK I'm done now :smile2:

5. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I have yet to catch a catfish at conestoga and I've fished there about 6 times. Gimme some dynomite!

6. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    last year NO WAIT !! the year before A friend of me and the wife and us went out and fished Conestoga one night from dark to a little after sun up. Not counting the p breaks when I had to take the wife to the bank. Anyway that next morn we had 36 fish to clean all over 15" and the biggest being around 10#s. And I think all three of us were broken off at least once . Now I know I use mostly 12 #test on my reels but it still takes a good pull to break it. Which tells me there are bigger fish than what we caught left in the lake. Also if you could go back and check there have been a few flattys in upper 40s to almost 60+ Lbs. There are fish in Conestoga !! Some fish were cpr'd some were supper !

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    How about having the gathering at Conestoga? The sound of big Flatheads being caught there strikes my interest of giving it a try. Night fishing? At least we don't have to worry about those stinking jet skiis then!! Any input? Post them up! I'm game for it!!:wink: I have access to Bluegill and Bullheads for bait and can get blood about any time for the channels.

8. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Conestoga would be ok but I'd prefer Summit

9. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I voted for Conestoga,and I'm with ya Mark I would love to catch me a big flatty to. :smile2: IMO Branched Oak will have more and bigger flats just because of the size of lake and they are catch and release. I voted for both and have caught nice fish at both . :cool2: :smile2:

10. Frankie B

Frankie B Guest

branced oak is catch and release???? what are we gonna eat???

11. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    the flathead at branched oak are catch and release. I've been told some large ones were brought in to control the white perch. I don't really know if it's true but it makes sense. All other fish are not catch and release.

12. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    That is true all flat heads are catch and release. The rest are breakfast !! :smile2:

13. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    Length limits have been lifted on fish taken from two southeast Nebraska lakes.

The water levels are being lowered at Big Indian Reservoir in Gage County and Iron Horse Trail Reservoir in Pawnee County so the lakes can be renovated.

Authorities want to empty the lakes of fish before the work begins. Although the length minimums have been temporarily lifted, the daily bag limits have not been changed.

Stranded fish may be taken by snagging, hand fishing, legal dip or landing nets, legal baitfish seines, barbed hand spear and archery.

14. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    sounds like a place to go for bait if nothing else. May be some bigguns in there !! :smile2: