Salt river

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by withone72, Oct 8, 2007.

1. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I would like to fish salt river does anyone have any info i could use. I have a boat if that would help. I live in E-town.

2. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Darryl, I know you can set in at the West Point area and also at the KOA in the Shepherdsville area if that is any help to you. I have been fishing the banks quite often and have done fairly well behind the park in Shepherdsville.Hope this helps !!!!:tounge_out:

3. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks john, I went to louisville today and i think i know where u are talking about.

4. BLuegill2007

BLuegill2007 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Darryl we fish the salt alot pm me one day and i can show you around down there in westpoint shepardsville sometime it would be cool to have a new fishing buddie all my friends fish pay lakes something im not to interested in but i can try my best to put you on some places in the salt

5. Ducati Monster

Ducati Monster New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Well Sir, you'll need 3 bucks if ya put in the boat at West Point. The boat ramp's a lil' rough but easy, wide open. You can't go too far up the salt due to Fort Knox's firing range. Maybe a mile or so up. Sat/Sun nights can be loud due to Ohio Valley race track. I'd like to tell ya more but I godda get to work.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...rv4XWwTpPkfxMjslBiKm8fJ43Ojs/22b9&ambiguity=1

^
    | Try the aerial view & zoom in to look around. Note the water is way down compared to the photo.

6. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Good place to fish up and down the salt river at west point.I heard the shad were in there pretty thick right now.Im going to find out myself soon.I see alot of people fish were the salt runs into the ohio which IS a very very good place.The salt is deeper than the ohio there and there is a big hole with alot of brush in it on the downriver side just out of the salt.My biggest flathead came from there and i have hooked some i never got to see they were like trying to reel in a fighting seamonster lol.Even with a garcia 7000 and 30lb berkley big game on her they did what they wanted when they wanted.Hope this helps and good luck.

7. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    heythe salt river acess can really be good for ya if you go 3 milews down river on right hand side which would be ind side in front of the old lock house old brick building . ive had exellent days fishing 18 tgo 24 ft. water the old lock was blown up causeing lots of concrete boulders to remain its a honey hole

8. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Hi Darryl....
    I have more luck fishing in the Ohio than I do the Salt. Have caught alot of smaller channels acrss from the park in WEst Point and the area downstream where the old dam used to be is indeed a honey hole. Another place is across from Kosmosdale (the concrete company) on the IN side. It does cost $3.00 when you put into the Salt at WestPoint, but you can get a year pass for $21.00 if you decide this is the area for you. I go into the Salt and get a days worth of Shad when I go out. My freezer is full of them already. Do you have a cast net. Best investment I ever made. When you are out, look for us (old green v-hull jon boat, I usually drive) or PM me and let me know when you may be fishing, and I will get you Shad, the fishies love them! :001:

Linda

BE SAFE

9. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks Linda I going to take u up on your offer. We fish the salt last wed. got 3 good bites. fished to the left of boat ramp. hope to try it again this week in my boat which i haven't had out but 1 time this year. boat ran fine in the yard , don't know about the might ohio.

10. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Get you some circle or Kahle hooks. I haven't found the circle hooks yet, but have been very successful with the Kahle hooks. Plenty of posts on here that can explain them better than I can. Pepper's on Dixie has them. I found a place yesterday, that I want to go back to ASAP. Come out of Salt, go downstream, past the last house you will see a rather large stick-up. I anchored by it, must be is a hole, really deep. Hard telling what lurks down there, maybe the West Point "monster" Big Jake. :big_smile:

I am planning on fishing all day Monday...I am on call this week-end, can't fish :sad2:

Linda
    :0a22:

BE SAFE

11. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Fished the salt today no luck, but i did get alot of shad. Like i said in my last post about that boat of mine. It didn't like being on the water. i don't know how mine times it takes the carb being clean to run. We used the trolling motor til the battery went dead. paddle back to the dock. o well back to the drawing board. as bad as i am throwing the cast net i got half of 5 gallon bucket. They are stacked in the salt so the cats should be in there.:wink:

12. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Went to the Salt myself last night. Plenty of one time hits but no hook ups. This rain should help. I hope the directions I sent you helped.:big_smile:

13. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I going to try your area thurs. I got plenty of bait might as well use it.

14. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I usually spend the nights out there on Thursday nights, so I might see you Darryl. I hope it does not rain that night.