Salt river

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by robbor, Feb 10, 2007.

1. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    My uncle has been wanting to fish the salt river for flatheads, anybody have any info. We have never been there and dont know what to expect.

2. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Hey man, welcome to the BOC. If you are talking the Upper Salt River near Roosevelt lake, I would say thats the place to go for some serious shore fishing for flatheads. There are alot of areas just below the diversion dam on the Salt that have produced incredibly for me, multiple fish over 40# most nights. Expect the area to be a bit busy on weekends, but you can't really beat camping out on the shore with the lines out to tear into the flatties. It is hard getting bait, though, so I suggest either hitting up a launch on Roosevelt Lake for sunfish, or purchasing water dogs.

3. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    Thanks for the reply SM. I found an article on the Salt about the exact same area you are refering to. Like Ive said, I have never been there. Can you get a boat up the salt to the diversion dam from roosevelt? Also is live bait legal for use in Az, im comming from Ca but my uncle lives in Douglas. And the article mentioned May being prime??? My uncle wanted to go last year but I was not able to make the trip. What kind of depth is the river and the holes?