Salt River

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by John Jennings, Mar 9, 2009.

1. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    My buddy and I went out Sunday afternoon, thought we would stay close to home and thought the best place for us to do that was hit the Salt River in WestPoint. It was windy as hell but the temp still hovered right at 65 degrees. We moved up river away from the Ohio and found a massive log Jam right behind the railroad bridge between Fort Knox and WestPoint. We got about 25min of solid fishing in with a few small bites When the rain and wind really picked up! As we were trying to decide if we were going to tough it out or tuck our tails between our legs the tornado siren and a crack of lightning help make our minds up!!lol All in all still beats working and it felt great to finally get out of the house and away from work! No such luck with catching any but the bite was definetly there on skipjacks. If we continue with this decent weather the water temp will rise a few degrees and should trigger some more aggressive movement especially from the big one's!

God Bless and Good Luck!

John

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is a great area to fish. I have pulled some nice fish out of that log jam! I am sure you are familar with the river, but that outside bend at otter creek sure holds some nice fish! Good Luck fishing and be sure to stock up on those skips

3. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    went back out today, we caught 2 small channels and 1 small blue a skipjack and a white bass. nothing to bragg about but atleast we didnt get skunked!

4. jogle1023

jogle1023 New Member

State:
    Shepherdsville
    I went out on Saturday on the salt and fish for 4 hours at the mouth, it was windy as hell but the fish was on. I caught one 22lb blue, one 12lb channel, one 5lb albino and about twenty 1 to 2 lb channels on skipjack and shad cutbait. It looks like it is going to be a good year here.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

Congrats on your catch! Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good people and great information

6. jogle1023

jogle1023 New Member

State:
    Shepherdsville
    Thanks I love this site. I usually dont have to ask about anything because it is already on here. I am doing it again tommorrow morning. Hope I have as much luck as last weekend.....

7. jogle1023

jogle1023 New Member

State:
    Shepherdsville
    I am going back out to try it again tommorrow morning. Hope I have luck again.......

8. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    congrats on a good day and good luck to you in the future. Becareful the water is supposed to go back up soon!

9. jogle1023

jogle1023 New Member

State:
    Shepherdsville
    Thanks the water is up. I only caught channels but it is better than not catching anything. I got hung up in a damn commerical net. I wish they would do something about that.