Salt River trip Thursday-Friday

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by AZflats, Nov 19, 2007.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    ~~~
    We found plenty of carp, had plenty of gills, plenty of worms, plenty of shrimp, and a whole lot of patience...

Micha and I blew off work Thursday and Friday last week to try our luck on the salt river above Roosie, below the diversion dam... Great trip, beautiful stretch of river, flattys none~

I had one run early in the evening on a strip of carp belly on a circle hook. I put the breaks on her a little early and she popped right off...:angry:

Caught a few channels at night, but the big fish were a couple of Buffalo carp mich and I caught on raw shrimp. I have never caught a Buffalo before, so please correct me if you think I am off on this...

The Skunks were crazy.. They invaded our camp throughout the night. As soon as the flashlights turned off, they wandered in..

Here are a few pics of the area we fished.. Enjoy
    ~A

Attached Files:

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Here are a few more pics, I think this is the diversion dam...

Has anyone ever fished right under the dam before? I am definently going back to explore this stretch of river more..

Attached Files:

3. stinky fingers

stinky fingers New Member

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    Thanks for the pic's. Never fished the river above roosie would like to some day. Nice to get out during the week it's a lot more peaceful. Glad you guys had a good trip. Except for the skunks that would piss me off to get sprayed.
    Take care.
    Larry

4. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Great job catching the carp, I am having trouble finding them around there anymore. You fished on the exact same bank I like to fish most of the time. I haven't had a run in five weeks.

I don't think the bottom of the dam is fishable, I remember looking for bait up there and it being ankle deep around there, but I might be wrong.

SKUNKS. I was out there Saturday night and got skunked, and SKUNKED. I was just thinking too of how lucky I was that skunks hadn't taken control of the upper Salt yet like they now own Bartlett, Canyon, and Saguaro, but I guess it was just a matter of time. My first close experience with a skunk up there, and this was a doozy. Had him opening up my bait cooler, halfway in my food tub, on my portable grill, under my cot with his tail tickling my nose awake, and stealing the only carp I had caught for bait. I could barely sleep with that guy around. That is, until, he finally felt my 3lb rock baseball coming up the wrong way. I was happy to have to deal with just the spray he let out rather than him all over us all night. Next time I'm coming early and taking him out.

5. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    I've caught Buffalo on just about everything, chicken gut, egg bag, and lots of them on crank baits:eek:oooh:

6. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Was up there the weekend before ur trip with a few friends Flats. Not a single run. First nite only had worms. Second nite had some live gills. No luck. I remember Silence tearing em up this time of the year last year.

Suprisingly, i didnt see one skunk there. I know how they can get though. I had alot of run ins with a litter of lil guys last year.

Where u fishing on the bottom for cats with the shrimp when you caught those carp?

7. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    on worms
    Yup. Caught a few channel cats on shrimp as well. Nothing on worms, but I did not have worms out all night....

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    good to see that you got out to enjoy a bit Andy.... like the pics of the wier/dam.... might have to get up there some time.....

Yuma skunked out for me with the flats..... good bait... two good runs and then the let go......

bayrunner ray

9. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Thanks for the pics.

I do believe that those are buffalo carp. As I am sure you noticed that they are a little different from the other carp you normally catch. Coloration is a little different too.

As far as the diversion dam, that is the one. The water has been really low the past few years and I don't think there have been too many fish able to get up that close to the dam. I have heard in the past of finding flatties above the dam in the "pond" above the dam. Now it is way to shallow for much of anything.

Totally off subject, we need some RAIN or SNOW!!!!! If we don't get something soon, we won't have anywhere to fish next year. Most of the lakes up here are almost gone and I know that the southern waters will be looking sad too if things don't get better around here.

Ryan

10. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Thanks Ryan,
    Good to hear from you~

Good thing Mesa is building a water park!!! Their timing is impeccable.

:oops:

11. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks for the pics Andy. I was wondering if you ate those carp? If so, how did you prepare them? I always thought that carp was a tough meated fish? I ate one from a Yuma canal once but it was prepared in a soup. It tasted okay but I wonder how it stands up as a fillet?

12. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hey dude,
    We let those guys go.. We ended up catching a few smaller commons which we used for cut bait.. I heard that carp taste best smoked... Don't know, I have never tried before...
    I know flathead like it.:still_dreaming:

Thanks~