Salt River Trip 9/4/05

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by anakin, Sep 5, 2005.

1. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Hit the Salt a lil down from the diversion dam before the bridge to Young. Caught my first flat on a 6 inch carp hook threw the eyes with a # 6 Mustard hook at 4am. Forgot the scale so was unable to weigh it before it was released. Couple locals said it was probably 30 -35 lbs. Let me know what you guys think. (getting a msg that says wrong file type when uploading pic, will fix it then post pic)

2. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Heres the pic of big Bertha.

Attached Files:

3. Sean

Sean New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nice :)

I'm gonna try my luck on Wed. night. Haven't decided where to go yet though.

4. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    heres a couple more pics plus a day shot of where it was caught...

Attached Files:

5. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Thats a nice one Anakin. I ain't been able to get out at all lately due to the gas prices, the heat, and work. Soon..........

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice flathead! them flats got some big heads!

7. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    where exactly is the diversion dam? how would you get to it? we really want to make it out there soon. is there any particular thing that you guys look for in a good spot?

8. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    On your way to Rosevelt, as soon as you can see the lake coming from Globe there is going to be a junction (junction 288 i think) to the lil town Young. you wanna take that exit.

After taking the exit, we took the first side road before the bridge & decided to camp/fish about 100 yards down from the dam.

I dont have much experiance catching flatheads as this was my first.
    As far as good spots go, I was personally just looking for points on the river where i could see changes in the running water & some structure. Wasnt able to find any that i could drive up close to. So we decided that any spot was as good as any.

Another thing that ive been thinking about is that the nights are getting colder, I wonder what type of effect that will have on the fish there in the next coming weeks.

Hope I helped, good luck !!!