Salt river to Roosevelt opening

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by dsfrye1, Jul 14, 2009.

1. dsfrye1

dsfrye1 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks to all on my post for Bartlett. I am headed to the Salt River off the 288, down FR 396 for 3 days this weekend. Just like Bartlett, catch some gills before heading out and hunt for the big ones. Are the cats known to be in this area?
    3 weeks ago I tested out my new (very old) sears jon boat off of School House point and caught a 5lb Chanel in the swamp like area. I only have a trolling motor and could not make it all the way to the Salt River; so I figure I would make camp off the Forest Road this time. I have also heard that the Cats are deep now (like the middle of the lake???). Any imput would be helpful.

2. Secret Agent

Secret Agent New Member

State:
    Arizona
    havent fished roosevelt in a week or two. Last night i fished there we fished the north side of the lake just across from Windy Hill launch and did very well on channels and caught one good Flattie about 20lbs. we fished the mouths of coves and fished the channels running in front of them found holes about 45 " deep and that ran up to reefs where it got top about 12 feet. Had the best action in the 20 -28 foot range in between the holes and reefs. Let me know how you do I might be out Saturday night i have a 21' White Prosport with a Mariner OffShore 150 if yopu see me stop by and say helo.

3. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    catch some gills before heading out and hunt for the big ones. Where you gonna get them bluegills exactly?

4. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    This thread is being monitored by the Bluegill Acquisition Legality Society. We see what you did there - You have been warned. :cool2:

5. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hello Drew, I hope your trip goes well, as I had said in personal message I just don't know the shoreline camping with present water level. You can catch the bluegill in the same area, that is where the cats come to dinner! Do allow yourself time to catch bluegill the first evening. Possibly waterdogs as a backup live bait. Good Luck

6. dsfrye1

dsfrye1 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Everyone's input is great, thank you. Secret Agent I have a small jon boat with trolling motor, but if I see you Ill wave as I fly by you. lol. As for blue gill and bait fish. I may be new to this site and I am really enjoying it however, I am not new to Arizona Game and Fish regulations and laws. I catch all bait fish at the lakes I fish at. No sense in trying to keep them alive on a two hour drive up to Roosevelt, in a 4cycl ranger with the boat and gear stacked in the back. Plus if you cant catch gills at the lake your fishing at for bigger fish... you shouldnt be fishing for the bigger fish. Thanks for ensuring I understand the laws and environmental aspects to fishing. (my 2 cents to the critics). Thanks for the tips on depths and channels, if the river does not produce I will move camp to get into the open.

7. Secret Agent

Secret Agent New Member

State:
    Arizona
    does all this talk about blue gill and the legal way to get them mean my pond in the back yard with a feeder is illegal when I bring them to the lake with me. What should I do with the Carp /Blue Gill i cross bred???:confused2:

8. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    I am not new to Arizona Game and Fish regulations and laws. I catch all bait fish at the lakes I fish at. No sense in trying to keep them alive on a two hour drive up to Roosevelt, in a 4cycl ranger with the boat and gear stacked in the back. Plus if you cant catch gills at the lake your fishing at for bigger fish... you shouldnt be fishing for the bigger fish. Thanks for ensuring I understand the laws and environmental aspects to fishing. (my 2 cents to the critics).

Whose the critics? I absolutely agree, that you need to catch bluegills in the same water you fish. I havent seen one that doesnt agree with that? We are all just having fun on the topic. Thats all

9. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    You must immediately turn yourself into the proper authorities, they will dispatch the proper Bluegill/Carp Cross breed herpes unit, and decontaminate the entire state of this new breed. Or you can go fish with them, and prayerfully when a Game Warden asks your fish where he is from, It will lie for you and tell that officer he is from the same water he is being fished in!

10. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I sense another brew-ha-ha developing...stay tuned for tonight's lecture on bluegill ethics...

11. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Brought to us by Skunkopatum, and stayed tuned for a lecture on denuetering our Natural resources.

12. Secret Agent

Secret Agent New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I also have a crayfish shrimp cross breed ive been working on for Channels. lol :wink:

13. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    before we know it there will be denuding occurring at an unprescedented pace...we have to stop the denuding...

14. dsfrye1

dsfrye1 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    LOL...ok so I figure being new here I have learned that I need to ignore gill posts and the ethics of where we are catching them.:eek:oooh: all good. Almost Friday and I have the spot on the Salt, hoping for a few nice ones this weekend.

15. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Good luck Drew,im envious,have to work this weekend!And dont forget to be wary of where ya catch youre gills!!:smile2:

16. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    OOHHH MYYYY,this will take old skunko into another whole realm!Ill be waiting for his reply!!:cool2::cool2:

17. dsfrye1

dsfrye1 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Didnt catch anything last weekend. Nothing big anyways. Better luck next time I head out.

18. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    The children can fish with crawshrimp and glowing bluegills!:cool2: Maybe i will live that long,could be really cool!!

19. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    Well,thats fishin,at least you got out there,for most that is the biggest battle!!

20. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hello Drew, Did the rain come thru your area. Sorry to hear you didn't have a chance at a big one.