Salt River - Roosevelt Lake info?

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by marauder651, May 7, 2007.

1. marauder651

marauder651 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Howdy all,
    I'll be going on my first trip up to the Salt River and was hoping for a little help as I've never been there. I'll be fishing from shore for Channels and Flatties. Is there good shore access? Any place the I can fish from shore that would be productive and set up camp not too far away? Would I be better off going to Roosevelt (never been there either and don't even know where to start on such a big lake)? Any help would be appreciated. I've fished for cats quite a bit but never up in this area. Thanks in advance.

2. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    If you are talking about the Upper Salt River, then yes there is great river access by any car for some of the best (in my opinion) flathead/channel shore fishing. Carp fishing is also excellent, and they make great bait. You need live sunfish for this stretch of the river though, and you can't bring them from somewhere else. I suggest going down to one of the boat ramps and catching some, although there are days I cannot catch one for the life of me. Shorefishing at Roosevelt itself can be productive, but for the camp/fish thing, you cannot beat the Upper Salt near the diversion dam.

If you are coming from the valley, it would be the 60 East until Globe, then the 188 North to Roosevelt. When you first see the lake, and you are coming down a large hill, you will be taking a right onto the 288 North to Young AZ. You will travel about 3-4 miles until you see a "Narrow Bridge Ahead" sign (i believe its mile marker 262) and turn left where it says "Salt River Access" over a cattle guard. You can follow that paved road all the way down past where it narrows to one lane, then park in any of the three parking areas you will see. They all have great access to the river shore where you can camp right on the water and land huge flats.

PM me if you need any clarification. It would be great if you would CPR the big fish for the rest of us.

3. marauder651

marauder651 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks for the help Silenced,
    The only fish I keep are stocked trout and a couple Channels a year. Looks like I'll be going to the Salt. I'll post a report when I get back

4. marauder651

marauder651 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Is this anywhere near the diversion dam? Excuse my ignorance but I'm fairly new to AZ and have never been up that way.

5. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Yeah, those areas are often called the diversion dam area, collectively. Really, the closest access point to the dam is called HZ wash, where there are usually alot of ATVs, campers, and partiers in general, so I usually don't fish there. Just down stream is Eucalyptus wash area, where I like to go, because the current is the slackest, water is the deepest, its a little quieter than upstream, and I've caught alot of fish there. Further downstream, past the rapids, is an area called Ead's wash. I used to fish that alot, but never landed a large flathead, although seem them in the 30s around there. I love that spot because its alot more out of the way, but you can't access it by paved road, its a bumpy little dirt road to get there.

By the way, thanks for adding that you will release the bigger fish. I'm the same way, I only like to keep a few channels here and there. Not trying to push my ways on any one else, but I think its great that you do that too.

6. marauder651

marauder651 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks again Silenced. Probably won't be able to get out until Memorial Day weekend and definately don't want to be around a bunch of loud partiers all night.

7. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I don't mind helping you out the least bit as long as you take care of things out there. In fact, "anakin" here on the boc was the generous man who turned me on to that area. I will be out there next weekend Fri to Sat, maybe Sunday too.

Be careful out there, it will be packed Memorial Day weekend. I was out there last year, got there late Saturday and could barely find a spot to fish, but there is a lot of bank if you don't mind carrying your gear a ways. But that was the weekend me and a buddy got attacked by a bunch of drunks with rocks. We came out all right, only my buddy had a bloody shin from one of their volleys. We didn't provoke it, or retaliate in any way either. Vowed never to be out there on a party weekend again, but I'm sure that experience was a rare one. Good luck, and don't forget to catch some live sunfish for bait!

8. marauder651

marauder651 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Well maybe I'll try to get out next weekend instead. I didn't think that was much of a party area I figured ther'd be a lot of people fishing but figured most of the drunken partying would be down at the lake.

9. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Yeah I really wish that was the case. I never even thought of it becoming a party area until I was there on Memorial day weekend. I will be out there this Friday night, any spot I can get near Eucalyptus.

10. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    good luck fishing this weekend, I may take the boat out friday night and fish the lake end of the salt and see what is happening. Hopefully they will be stack up there since the water level is so low they cant make it up the actual salt river. Wish me luck. and good luck to you as you fish the diversion damn area!!

11. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    they can make it up the river.....

this is nice high water the last 3 years compared to the previous 10 years.

those previous 10 years they made it up river