Salt River Lakes?

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Brokenlines, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Brokenlines

Brokenlines New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I see most of the posts in the AZ section relates to the Colorado River, Roosevelt and Bartlett lakes. Has/does anyone in the AZ forums fish the other Salt River Lakes, i.e., Saquaro, Canyon or Apache? If so, where, what do catch , i.e, flats, channels?

I'm abt 30 - 45 minutes from Saquaro and Canyon Lake but haven't done any serious Catfishing there.

2. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Id say out of those, apache lake is the best for flatheads. Its a toss up with other species, although I do favor canyon for largemouth bass.

3. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I think Saguaro and Canyon are both hit or miss for channel cats. Never caught a flathead although have taken nice sized (5-10lb) channels out of both Canyon and Saguaro. I have heard that Apache is your best bet for flatheads out of the three, but if you are at Apache you are nearly at Roosevelt anyway.

Personally, Saguaro lake is cursed. I get into strange situations anytime I go and break rod after rod at only that lake for some unexplained reason. I try my hardest to avoid that lake.

4. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Have any of you guys had any luck just below the Roosevelt dam. The water and current seem ideal for catfishing. There are a couple of areas to fish from shore about a 1/4 mile down. Thats for the post.

5. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I have always wanted to try just below Roosevelt Dam and have seen some decent bank spots off of Apache trail. But I haven't yet.

It seems that since Roosevelt is so close I would rather try that whenever I'm out there.

6. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    I believe i am going to give it a try one night, since i have some time right now. My son is coming over next week and we will be going for an overnighter either upper salt or below roosevelt dam. I am going check it below dam once before he gets here.