Salt River Lakes catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by Waterdawg, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Waterdawg

Waterdawg New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey everyone, I am new here so sorry if this has already been talked about. I hear alot on other sites about the golden algae problem at Apache, Canyon, and Saguaro and major fish kills in the last couple of years. Has this affected the Cats too? I assume it has, but I don't see any mention anywhere. I live close to these lakes and I would like to dunk some cutbait on weeknights, but I don't want to waste my time if the Cats are gone.

2. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    John welcome to the BOC:haha::haha:

I'm not really familar witht that area. Most people don't fish for catfish so that might be a reason they weren't mention. Maybe check your dnr's website

Again welcome to the brotherhood

Josh

3. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    I havent heard of recent Apache kill offs. The ones i remember people mentioning was from over 2-3 years ago. I used to fish @ Apache all the time with my girl before we started really trying to catch flatheads. Ive see her pull in an 8 lb channel from either upper/ lower burnt corral (always get the two confused). To be honest, if ur going to make ur way up to Apache might as well take the slighly longer car ride up to Rosevelt diversion dam & try to catch a big one. The one in my pic was pulled from there in early Sept. of last year off a 5 " carp hooked between the eyes,on my first trip there. We're going to be making a trip up there the weekend of july 8th. Hopefully we get lucky.

4. Waterdawg

Waterdawg New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks guys. Anakin, I got your PM, but it won't let me respond until I had posted at least 10 times, so here is one closer! To answer your question, my picture if from my home state of Nebraska at Johnson Lake.

5. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Was just curious if that pic was from here in state cuz it looks like a nice place to catch some big cats. Rosevelts diversion dam looks very smiliar.

One other thing i forgot to mention , Apache has been said to be a sleeper flathead lake. I remember an old timer that i looked up to would always say he felt it was underrated & some big cats are sure to come out of there in the next few years.

6. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    As far as fish kills in the salt river lake system, the most recent has to be saguaro. I was down there about a month ago, I live in mesa real close to all those, and there was a MESS of floating shad in the coves. The dnr said it was a shad kill, but i'm sure that a kill of baitfish affects catfishing. I do know that i've been fishing for channels in saguaro way too many times, and i don't get half the action i used to back about 3 to 4 years ago. there are many nights this year that i fish saguaro for cats without a single bite.