Salt River and Kentucky

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by blugill79, Jun 3, 2007.

1. blugill79

blugill79 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Hello fellow catfisherman. I just relocated to Fort Knox after a year long tour in South Korea. I am oringinally from Wisconsin. I fish cats in Wisconsin alot. Mainly channel and flatheads.

Here is my dillema. I am slowly scouting around the ohio river finding holes as best as I can. The Salt River looks promising. Hooked into a giant cat in mid-may on shrimp. (shrimp is a new presentation for me)

Now on the Ohio aspect of fishing. Made several trips to cannelton dam. Fished on the sandbar. Noticed the depth varies, and the bottom is gravel / sand mixture. Have not had any luck here though. Presentations included: shad, shiner, chub, shrimp, and sucker. Both in live and cut bait variants. Ranging in size from 4 to 8 inches. I thought that the spawning season and a low water temperature might be affecting cannelton.

Another spot that I have found is a edge roughly 75 feet and 50 feet wide just off the main current south of Otter Creek. It's very rocky, but its smooth. My best judgement on depth here is between 12 to 15 feet. Have not landed anything spectacular but the cats are here.

In the process of purchasing a Tracker Deep V-16. I like the Deep V for its stability in big water. Is this a good choice for the Ohio?

My rigs. In my past experience I have always used a three-way set-up. The lead line is 18 inches of 20 lb mono having the hook line 8 to 12 inches. Wondering if it would be better to use the slip sinker rig as the cats seem finicky.

Another presentation I want to try that is killer on the Chippewa River is Jigging. I'll explain this one. I use a 1 ounce heavy duty jighead, tie on a trailer hook with 20 lb mono or braided nylon. (prefer braided nylon)

I hook the blugill in the tail close to the anal fin and the trailer hook just above the gil plate. Find a shear edge with current keeping your drag as low as possible cast up stream and bump the bottom. This does produce vicious strikes. My question is, where can I find places on the ohio or feeder creeks where I can try my presentation out?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    This is a Salt river cat caught last Saturday on cut Shad from the bank in Shepherdsville.

3. RegulatorX

RegulatorX New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Where do you bank fish in Shepherdsville? I live in Bullitt Co. and am desperately looking for something other than paylakes. Thanks in advance for your help.

Derrick Berrier
    Louisville, Ky

4. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Behind the conference center in Shepherdsville is one spot and another is in the heart of Shepherdsville on Hwy.61 [Preston Hwy.] just before you pass over the Salt there is a park on the right, follow the road back behind the park till you get to dirt roads and you will eventually find fishing spots. This is city owned property which will be eventually turned into part of the park so there is no worry of tresspassing. this area is where the cat in my avatar was caught.

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i lived in bullitt co. for 25 years I grew up back zoton rd if you know where that is but anyways i use to like to go behind kart country there use to be two ways back one through kart country parking lot with the lake to your left and turn right at the end of the lake or go in from the old school parking lot. you'll see a few spots you can fish but stay clear of that house thats back there that old man dont like anyone and will call the law if you get over on his prop. now the last time i fished down there the owenrs of kart country owned the property from that mans house down to about were the old sewer pond was all the way down to salt river. and at that time hey didnt care if anyone was back there. and that lake is a good spot too if you can keep the turtels off.

6. RegulatorX

RegulatorX New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks guys good to know. I actually live around the Zoneton area myself. Going to look into the spots this weekend.

Derrick Berrier
    Louisville, Ky

7. blugill79

blugill79 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Just returned from the salt river in shepardsville. Took your advice and went through the park just before the bridge on 61.

I had a few good runs, but no hookups. Had gills and shad.

8. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Took a float trip down the Salt last year from outside Taylorsville to Sheperdsville. We streched it out to 3 days and found a lot of good holes. The trouble is as with most streams, access is not always available.

9. catsey

catsey New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    HELLO! ARE YOU AT FORT KNOX YET? I LIVE CLOSE TO FT.KNOX(RETIRED ARMY) ,AND FISH THE OHIO RIVER ALOT.MAYBE WE CAN GET TOGETHER AND FISH! LATER, JIM

10. blugill79

blugill79 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Catsey,

Yes sir, been at Fort Knox since janurary. Been fishing whenever I have free time. Could always use another fishing buddy.