Salt River 3/19/09

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by dutch552, Mar 19, 2009.

1. dutch552

dutch552 New Member

State:
    KY
    Fished this afternoon by the West Point boat ramp on the Salt River, and I got skunked. Using frozen skipjack because I could not find any shad close to shore to net today.

I drove down to the park in West Point and walked down to the river to scope out a future fishing spot. Walking down the riprap from the parking lot, which is the best way to go to set up? I'm limited to the shore until I can buy a boat later this year so my options are somewhat limited. I usually work on the weekends so I can only fish during the week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Welcome to the brotherhood !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tounge_out:

3. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Next time drive into West Point, go to the park, go to your right and you will find a walk way going down to the river, There have been some nice fish caught in this area. When the river drops more, you will have more aeas on the beach to fish. Welcome to the BOC. Do you live in this area???

4. dutch552

dutch552 New Member

State:
    KY
    I live just west of Ft. Knox so West Point is only about a 15 minute drive for me. I've had a job that didn't allow for much free time for the last five years so I am trying to get back into catfishing. Unfortunately, many of the private farms I was able to fish on or use to access the water have sold and are being developed now so my shoreline access is limited at this point.

I'm keeping an eye out in the classifieds section for a good used cat boat that is stable enough to use on the Ohio. I'm just waiting to find one that fits my needs and my budget. Until then, I'll be hanging out on the bank a few days during the week.

5. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Ooooooops !!!!!!!!:embarassed: And sisterhood. Linda is the one to talk to about the Westpoint area.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

Welcome to the BOC brother!!! This place is full of good info and great people.

I am going to put you in a great spot, you just have to work out the small details....................and do some walking. Drive out to Otter creek park. Follow the road that goes all the way down to the Ohio river. Just before you get to the parking area, you will drive over the Railroad tracks. Park your vehicle and go back up to the tracks. You will be located just WEST of otter creek (actual creek). Walk East on the tracks and you will see the huge outside bend that comes up alongside of the tracks. Find a spot and prepare to catch fish. There are places in that bend well over 60 feet deep and you will only have to cast about 20 feet to hit water well over 40 feet deep. I have caught some great fish here (out of boat) and I am sure it will be a great place to bank fish.

You are going to need some cut bait and some 6-8 oz sinkers (maybe more) to hold that bait on the bottom!

7. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Shane, I could not agree with you more. Beautiful part of the river and loaded with fish...BIG FISH :tounge_out:
    Looks like from your address you are still state side and in Georgia?? Hope you had a wonderful trip home and were able to do some fishing...

Linda

8. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

Linda, all is well here. Thanks for asking. Jamie and I are praying for an extended stay here at fort Benning because that will mean there is only a small chance of deployment.

I love that stretch of river and dream of owning that marina on the Salt River!! Is that private or does West Point own that? I wish they would let a man buy it and really fix it up. Area has so much potential!!

9. dutch552

dutch552 New Member

State:
    KY
    Thanks for the sweet sounding spot. We live 5 minutes from Otter Creek park and used to horseback ride a lot over there until they closed it at the first of the year. I still think they have the front entrance gated and locked from where the city shut it down due to budget reasons. We rode down to the river quite a bit and I'm pretty sure we've been down in that general area on the Ohio and there was planty of space to set-up, I've just never actually fished the bank there becuase it is a nice little walk and I didn't know how the fishing would be. I just hope they re-open the park soon as it is really a nice place to escape to.

10. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    That is a sweet spot for giant fish.I caught a 34lb blue there last year and a friend of mine had his line broke several times.I told him 10lb test would not hold up and he found out.I could have sold him some of my 30lb berkley big game for around $ 1.00 a foot lol he was so upset.I am in the proces of installing stick steering and controls on the boat doing away with the tiller setup.Once im done i will be headin to Westpoint.I would say that the mouth where the Salt runs into the Ohio would be a sweet spot right now,fish the scour hole.

11. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck to everyone fishing that area. Great fishing and I miss it dearly!