Salt or Freshwater tackle?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Phil Washburn, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    reading the cabelas vs bass pro thread brought this thought to mind.....one member said that neither one catered to the catfisherman. true, to a point.

however, one thing i have found is that if you want to hoss a cat out you need heavy tackle...saltwater tackle meets that need. i use saltwalter hooks and leaders, and i am now buying saltwater duty reels. the next rod i buy will be a blackhorse from lyle, and i fully expect it will meet my demand should i ever be fortunate enough to hook a 30lb+ cat...

so, i guess what i am trying to say is if you don't like what bass pro or cabelas has to offer the catfisherman, click on the saltwater stuff and see if there isn't something there that will cure your ill:wink:

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Good Post .Myself I use 30# Off Shore Angler Premium Saltwater line. seems to work well and is tough. I have the pea green color but when it's thrown out and in the air it's a darker green and easy to see. Can't say what it looks like under the water ,never tested it to see.I got mine at BPS for around 18.00 for a 890 yard spool.

3. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I exclusively use all salt water rods, reels and tackle for surf fishing. Not too many places here to catch the big channel cats, but the stripers that I have caught weighed up to 40# and the 10# plus bluefish do put up one heck of a fight.

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I agree there isn't enough offerings in the catfish tackle. Most of the stuff dedicated to us (cat fisherman) seems to be junk. I contacted Shimano once by email concerning this (i already knew what the answer would be) and was told. Something like this " sorry we don't have plans to make any specific catfish rod at the moment blah, blah please look at our current selections and the person who emailed me send a link to their saltwater rods. I wound up getting a Shimano Saragosa rod on clearance though its a pretty tough rod(just hate that its one piece that's another dilemma....

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    A lot of my saltwater stuff works just great for catfish.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    So Phil the solution is to go to the Cabelas Salt Water catalog!!!!!!!!Of course BP has one to but your point is well taken.Much good stuff in those catalogs and often they have additional stuff that the regular fishing catalogs dont.Most of my stuff is saltwater as far as rods and reels go for the same reason I bought a saltwater OPTIMAX engine for my boat.Saltwater stuff is engineered to resist salt (go figure) and corrosion better.:smile2:

7. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Fresh water tackle is for catching bait.. LOL...:wink:

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Good post -

Personally, I have never shopped for "catfish tackle" or bass tackle or bream tackle or trout tackle or ...

I shop for a particular weight or style of rod, reel, line, etc.

I frequently use my "catfish tackle" to fish for sharks, red drum, etc. My bream rods are also great for trout...

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    OH YEAH JOHN !!!!!! well let me tell you up here in NC where the real men are we use our bream rods for sharks.None of that sissy SC stuff for us.:big_smile::crazy::smile2::roll_eyes:

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have fished sweet water (fresh) and saltwater all of my life.I was taught and saw that tackle and most everything else made for saltwater as a whole would and will hold up better in both.Simple fact of life for most of those that fish both but often hotly contested by those that have never fished saltwater.That said,there are so very many situations where you need one or the other.I now often Bream & Bull head fish with a gigantic Spinning reel but it works with my hands as they are today.Also,ain;t no 20-1000+ lb.fish going 20-47-mph.is normally going to hit my bait or my catch in fresh water.If something does,I know for sure it is going to be a Jet Ski,Bass Boat or a rambling Bull Shark.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee