Salt licks and recipes

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by SSG Johnson, Sep 3, 2005.

1. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    It has been my experience that if you hunt you need to give something back to the woods. Food plots and Habitat improvement can be expensive and very time consuming. One great thing that a person can do to improve your deer herd is putting in a salt lick. Deer are just like us in that the require salt to live. With that said deer will find salt somewhere somehow just like water. You can put in an inexpensive salt like for you deer without much effort at all. The way I put out a lick in my area is to get a bag of rock salt or drive way melt after the winter you can pick one up for very cheap. Take you salt out and find a good spot just off a trail. Prepare the ground with a rake or shovel loosening or turning over the ground in about a five foot area. Pour your salt on and mix up the salt and soil. There you have it but be prepared for the deer to dig up the ground around your salt lick. You can also add deer cocaine or rack builder to the ground as well and the deer will like you even more for it. Check with your local game warden or wildlife biologist to see if this is legal in your state. I wouldn't recommend hunting over your lick you will see that the deer will come to it to acquire salt but it should not be considered as bait in any way but a way to give something back to the deer and wildlife that you love to hunt and eat.

2. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    This was originally post by ALen Horntager on the Missouri Sportsman's Web site.

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE
    Printable version
    Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
    Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications.
    Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
    Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.

Alen Horntager
    Missouri sportsman

3. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    This was origonally post by ALen Horntager on the Missouri Sportsmans Web site.

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE
    Printable version
    Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
    Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loos kind without the medications.
    Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
    Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.

Alen Horntager
    Missouri sportsman 2004

4. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Chuck, we put salt in a burlap gunny sack and hang it from a tree branch. Every time it rains, salt is dripped in to the soil(your mineral mix would work great). The sack eventually rots away leaving nothing unsightly in the woods. Also, you need to take care where you put this salt and mineral, deer can work up a pretty deep hole in a hurry. That's great for the deer and us hunter's, but farmers aren't reall happy about big holes in their fields.

5. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Im going to try the burlap bag thing this year. Thanks for the info.

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Burlap sack is a great idea. What size sack are you using?

7. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Just a regular old feed store sized gunny sack. Used to be able to get them for free, but have to buy them now and there getting harder to find.

8. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    I use the recipie that you posted from that missouri hunting website. I had trouble finding the Di-cal. Only one place in town had it. You might be careful using the ice melter, it might have other chemicals in it. I have heard of people doing like you were saying center12, with the sacks, but instead they used an old knee long sock and it served the same purpose, just wouldn't last as long. I think i will try that next year. The deer have been hitting my mineral pits, but not real hard. Where i put them isnt the best location because its not that close to a water source.