SALT IN BAIT TROUGH

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by JEFFRODAMIS, Jul 9, 2009.

1. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ANYBODY KNOW HOW MUCH SALT TO USE IN YOUR BAIT TROUGH? I AHVE BEEN USING NONE BUT WAS TOLD BY A MAN THAT DOES IT FOR ALIVING I NEEDED SALT AND I FORGOT HOW MUCH HE SAID TO PUT

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    one heaping table spoon for each 5 gallons of water.thats what i put in my pond.

3. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Make sure it is rock salt and not iodized salt as the iodine will kill the fish.

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I've seen directions for up to a Tablespoon per gallon but that seems like a lot. It doesn't evaporate so if you just add water to the tank, don't add more salt unless you drained some.

5. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
  6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    So i probably need a whole box of salt for 200 - 250 gallons...wow

i bought soem please release me additive and put in it but when i run out of that i may do the salt until i can get more..clsoest place to get it besides teh new is an hour away, thanks for the advice guys

7. makoman

makoman New Member

State:
    tulsa oklahoma
    I buy cattle salt at a farm center store not the block the granular kind I pay 4.00 for 60lb. bag I have thirty gallon tank an I will add about half to one cup of salt to the water I will also use tap water an put clorine killer in water lot clearer see the shad really good they will stay alive 2 to 3 days. the cooler you keep the water longer they will stay alive. It just has to be iodine free salt. when you catch shad put them in seperate bucket for about 1 to 2 min. let them do their pupin an sheading scales this because they are streasted the salt is for after they have lost some of their scale they have open wounds the salt keeps them from geting baterial infection so quick an dieing on you next you have to make sure you can supply them with plenty of oxygen in water for the number of fish you are trying to keep alive . Google keep alive aerators I bought one they work great theirs half dozen aerators out their know that add air to the aerator instead of just circulating water. I was doing a lot of striper an hybrid fishing. Ive recently started fishing for the cats. Heck I just love fishing

8. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Steve and thanks for the tips.

9. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    So im looking at about 8 cups of salt for 250 gallons give or take? seems like a lot of salt, im reall y happy with the Please Release Me but 8 bucks for a jar can get kind of high after a while..i run a good bit of water out every 3 or 4 days and have to add a little each time..well i may not HAVE to but i like to lol, everything in the trough seems to eb a lot livlier after i add it then they do with nothing added, im assuming its the replenished electrolytes..does salt have this same effect? i am not having a issue with losing bait nor did i have a problem before i had this stuff but i enjoy looking after my bait tank and keeping evrythign in there as healthy as possible.