Salt Fork

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by s_man, Feb 21, 2006.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I went up to the lake today to get a feel for the layout. I'm leaning toward fishing in one of the northern arms during the gathering. Who is the resident salt fork expert? The water was deeper up there as opposed to the marina area. I just want to know where the bulk of the pre-spawn flats are hanging out. In the south or the north. Or do they hang around the dam in the spring. I have never caught a flathead from a lake, Only tried a handful of times when the river was just to dangerous to spend the night. Do they go way up the creek arms? Stay in the main lake? What can you guys tell me?

2. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I've only fished the south western side, but I have seen quite a few nice fish come from my spots. I fished all over the lake one day in a boat about 7yrs ago.I missed a really nice fish, but I don't remember what part of the lake this was at.

3. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    Some friends and I from work caught some nice flats about 150 yds from the marina. There was also several caught directly across the lake from the marina.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    There seems to be an ongoing arguement between the area behaind the Park office and the area across from Sugartree by the stone house.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If the water is back up the park office looks real good with those creeks running in. I saw lots of standing timber lining the exposed creek channels to the south of the office. I just have no idea what the water level usually is,so I can't say if I can even get my boat back in there.

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Normal water level is about three feet with the channel running about 3 1/2 to possibly 4 feet. At the ramp there are markers showin the end of the ramp. From experience do NOT let your wheels go beyond those markers! I plan to, within 30 days, head over there and my 3 spots to hit are, my favorite, right out from the island (will set up on the bank), the land north of the island, and the stumpfield that you saw.

PS The bite last year was 6-11. Someguys said there was a second bite around 3 or so but I never stayed that long. Good Luck and I'll see you out there.

7. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like to fish near the old covered bridge. I was told about an area near the park office, and I also have a place that I like to fish in the spring. You need a boat to fish it. I think most of us that will be at the gathering will be fishing the stump filled areas. depending on what kind of rain we get and the temps we have, this should be a great time to catch some nice fish. Lots of nice sized channel cats come from this lake at this time of year too.

8. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    I know there is some nice flathead in the lake I caught two last year slow trolling deep running crankbaits for saugeye and walleye one was up by the dam and the other was off the point by the south ramp on the north fork.One was 18 lb the other was 23 lb.

9. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    SALT FORK LAKE’S BOATING AND FISHING OPPORTUNITIES RESUME
    AS REPAIRS TO DAM NEAR COMPLETION
    Lake to again resume normal levels at Ohio’s largest state park

COLUMBUS, OH - The multi-million dollar repair project at Salt Fork Lake dam is nearing completion, and water in the 3,000-acre lake in Guernsey County will be allowed to rise to its normal level in the coming weeks. Recreation at the popular boating and fishing destination will resume as usual now that the dam’s drainage system has been repaired, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR).

This was release on March 8th by ODNR.

10. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I might take a trip out there before the gathering. Just to try and find some new spots.

11. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    that is real good news to hear

12. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Stopped by and checked out the Morning Glory boat access area today ( close to the dam), seems to be a lot of space to fish from the bank there. Just out a curiosity has anyone done very good at this spot?

13. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    Went out to salt fork for a few hours today. My son, daughter,and my Dad turned out to be the lucky ones. Dad caught two in the 1 to 2 lb range, My little girl ( three years old) caught her first catfish 2lbs. Then my boy caught the biggest a 12 and1/2 lb cat. So all and all it was a good day on the lake. Also seen Loanwizard and Netmanjack out on the water. They came by to say hello and to tell me a story of how Loanwizard thought somebody stole his boat, but I wont go into detail about that. Here are some pics of the kids and there fish

Attached Files:

14. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Excellent pics Brian! I can see those kids had a blast catching them. Be glad to see you at the gathering in May.;)

15. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Looks like you had a nice time with the kids. I hope everyone that has kids that attend the outing bring them with them and not just leave them at home.

16. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'll be leaving my kids at home with the wife because they didn't want to go, she plans out taking them to their grandmas that weekend in Kentucky. I guess kids would rather go to their grandmas at their age then go fishing. So me and Tony are planning to go together. Sounds like it's gonna be a blast!

17. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Looks like they had a blast. Is Kelly showing you up already this year Brian?lol

18. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    yes i think he is. he was getting his punches in i tell ya he is hard on the ole man

19. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I knew some will leave there kids at home......:rolleyes: But bring the kids and we can have something for them and keep then involved. They are the future of fishing.