Salt Fork Resevoir

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by loanwizard, Aug 15, 2005.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Salt Fork Resevoir is located off of SR 22 near Cambridge Ohio. It has a good population of channel catfish and Shovelhead (Flathead) Catfish. I know personally of a 55, a 42, several in the 30-35 range that were caught in the spring of 2005. There is a good population of bluegill, and shad for bait and food. There is no horsepower restriction. As of August 14, 2005 there are only two launch pads available for a good size craft and those are located at Salt Fork Marina.

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    OK, we now know where it is,BUT how did your new boat do and did you get into any fish.;)

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I still have not made it out there to fish this year. Do they have the dam fixed or is it not causing any problems to the fishing??? I would like to meet up out there and show everyone how it is done. LMAO

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Matt I dont believe it has been fixed yet I think I remember reading something might have been on the DNR site where they said it hasnt.

5. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    They are allowing the lake to fill naturally as of 7/15/05. Of course we have had no rain and it is actually worse than what it was. The new boat is great, runs 70mph plus, just built rod holders (can hold 11 rods) and it's ready for wednesday. 40 gallon gas tank, figure that @ $2.50 a gallon :eek:

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    OK, the bullheads are comming along too, if thats ok. lol ;)

7. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Hi loanwizard. Thanks for clearing up the leaking dam. I talked to a guy two days ago and he thought it was still leaking because the water level was so low. That explains it, no rain, no water. Don't think about the price of gas for your new boat, best $2.50X40 you can spend is on gas for the boat. Easy for me to say when I have a 9.9hp Jon Boat, takes me a little while to get where I am going. :) John

8. tcphs

tcphs New Member

The Southeastern part of the lake is empty. They are going to fix the dam next spring. The DNR is pulling money from other projects to fix it.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Went out with Loanwizard Wednesday,thought some of you that haven't seen the lake might like a peek.Its hard to believe that so many big fish were caught in this area.

:sad:

Attached Files:

10. BigKatWilly

BigKatWilly New Member

State:
    Mansfield Ohio
    Has anyone been out?Did the storm this week help out any with the water or lack there of? :0a28: :0a28:

11. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    I was out last night. The water is still down as it will be til next year. However, the water is cooling. I have been fishing it over the last 30 days 2-3 times w/ absolutely no luck. Last night got out about 4 with goldfish, caught some bluegill and some 8-9 inch shad. 3 bites 1 @ 8:15 1 @8:30, 1 @ 10:15 left @ 10:48 Nothing on Goldfish

6lb channel on live shad
    1 heckuva run on live bluegill... forgot I had a big river hook and not a circle grrrr!
    1 real nice fish that spit the hook soon after "hookup" on Live shad. (was absolutely over 10 lbs, felt like my 20 and my 32 or more, just kept the drag screaming never slowed down.)

Actually may be a good spot for a gathering or get together as there is excellent shore access or drop off points for a boater to drop you off.

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Glad you had some luck Shawn,I wish I could have been there.The food tasting party was a bust, birthday party not much better.:sad: Cat fishing beats every thing.lol

13. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Loanwizard

Nice to hear some reports from us in Eastern Ohio. Next spring I'll be asking for some help from some of the guys here to get started on the lakes.

Just something I try to do for my self .......K.I.S.S.....to easy for me to make too many mistakes otherwise.

<><Baitkiller><>

14. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    I also aim to make a trip up there with you, with or without a boat. I'd like to try your style though I may cuss you if you get me into too many snags lol

15. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Loanwizard

Anytime I can brother :D ! Not to worry about ALL THE SNAGS there, I'll keep you in sinkers and hooks if need be.

I do believe its easier to come across a 50#er in our lakes but I believe the average Flathead has been around 18-20#s this year at pre-spawn @ "Old # 9".

I sure hope the guys post more here in Ohio, I miss seeing what all were doing. Now "being over the road" It will be next year before I get much any fishing in again :glare: .

<><Baitkiller><>

16. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    lock number 9, is that the Philo lock on the Muskingum??

17. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Ohio River north of Steubenville.

18. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    ok, ive never fished the Ohio YET..........i love the muskingum, i found a really nice spot close to the philo lock, any of u familiar with the Philo lock??

19. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    been there a time or two. mostly fish the y bridge area of the muskingum.

20. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    yeah there's a sandbar about 200 yards below the lock........i stumbled across it a few months ago, actually was my first experience on the Muskingum, and have been back almost every weekend after that...........i see ur profile pic looks like dillon spillway.........ive landed some nice ones outta there this summer also.........fishing on the other side down on the rocks closs to the high wall............its kinda a rough walk but plently worth it