Salt-Fork Lake

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tspergin, Jul 10, 2006.

1. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    One of the nice channels me and loanwizard caught at saltfork last weekend,we had a good time and I want to thank shawn for being a good host and hope to do it again soon

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    That is a very nice fish brother, congrats on the catch. Looked very healthy. Good luck on the water. Love to see those cats come from Ohio.

3. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Awesome fish Tony! Thanks for sharing, looks like a good time was had. Would like to hook up with you 2 and try it out.

4. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Tony did you catch that fish for Shawn or did he pay a diver to hook it for him.lol. Congrats on the catch guys!!

5. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    I was out there Saturday Morning about 6a.m., I thought I saw you guys by the bridge on 22. You guys looked cold, at least the cats were biting better the saugers...........

P.S. Who was sleeping in the camo jacket......

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,

Jason that's a low blow! Actually some italian dude dove down there and explained that the fish was gonna bite on Toy's hook. The catfish tried to tough it out but you can see by the blood, that the italian dude won.

Naw, my fish was 1/4 of that ones size, but.... He wrapped up tony's lines, wrapped around my trolling motor, under the anchor and into a 10-12 foot limb. With my 100 pound power pro we got him to the boat and released him. Believe it or not, I caught the same fish 1 hour later.

Tony, are you going to write the article or shall I? I cannot believe that we caught fish in the middle of the lake. That method definitely deserves an article. I have fished for 35 years and while I have done some similar things, your method confounded and intrigued me.

Thanks for putting up with me, and we will definitely do it again sometime.

7. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    We were out near the culvert.
    You saw us... glad you aren't a psycho with a gun... we thought we had the lake to ourself. Tony was in camo, I was in a sleeping bag under the curtains. You shoulda stopped, I would have fried you up some bacon and eggs. Actually I don't think we caught a fish until Saturday evening. Friday from 7pm until Saturday 8pm was some of the toughest fishing I've ever seen... and we were fishing hard in my book! I'd say we caught 20 or so total for the weekend, mostly Sunday 11am -2:30 pm... go figure.

8. Sundance

Sundance New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am going to be out at salt fork in 2 weeks with the grand kids.
    Any ideas for spots to park the pontoon? I would love to get the
    kids into a mess of channel cat. Size isnt as important as having a good time. Also, I could use an idea for shore line spots when we do not have a boat.

The kids love catfish and it would be greaet to get them into some.

Don.

9. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Looks like you had a great time!!

10. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats a very nice cat! Congrats on the catch! Tony,I'm going to have to toughen up a bit and tell my wife i'm coming up to fish with ya and thats final!

11. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Dependent upon age, I would recommend bluegill fishing. It is solid all day every day. For catfish there are several different ramps. Using the 541 ramp, morning glory or the old marina (I am getting old... can't remember the name and I used to dock my pontoon there) Ahh... Sugartree.. Anyhow... Coming out of 541 or morning glory (matter of fact I do not recommend launching out of morning glory at all with a pontoon) Go to the left through the ski zone til you see the marina on your right. Directly across from the marina are two branches. take the right side and go to the no wake zone. Go to the middle of the lake even with the rocks (bowling ball size) Take your bluegill and fillet them. Take a fillet and thread it twice on a size 5 circle hook. Below the hook attach a dropper with a 1/4 to 3/4 oz sinker. Drop them over the side and let out to the bottom, then let out three feet or so more. Be VERY careful to not let them let out too much line (no more than 45 degree angle) they will tangle you quickly. Make sure you have rod holders or have the kids hold on for remember you only have 10 feet between you and the fish and they have much faster reflexes than... me! When you get out to the middle of the curve there is a 3 foot or so drop off. Make sure you pay attention there and let out some line. That is a great area for small fast action cats although Tony did get an 8 pounder out of there. If you come in using SR22 got to the 1st right (park office) there is a ramp there. Go left from the ramp and anchor left of the bridge or go left and straight across if you want to drift. The channel runs along the far left shore then loops in front of the island. Or go tothe 2nd left to the new main biggest best marina and put in there. Directly across from the ramps is good to drift. The cove directly to the left is great. If you want to anchor try the left side all the way left of the bridge (not the culvert) by the beaver dam. Going to the right, across from the beach nex to the road is good to anchor. That whole area on the left side is a good drift. That is all I know. Good Luck,

Shawn

12. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Glad to see you finally got into some nice ones this year Shawn. It sure wasn't from the lack of trying. Sound like you have discovered the miracle of drifting. Gotta love it for those channels. When these flatties get done spawning I plan on getting back up to salt fork to chase them around and listen to the laugh at me.

13. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Shawn, Is that the same Culvert I lost the huge flathead at?

14. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Yes sir it is. Where have you been?

15. Sundance

Sundance New Member

State:
    Ohio
    what is this culvert? I looked at the maps and found most of what you were talking about but do not recognize the culvert.

thanks again for the great response.

Don.

16. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    22 to Salt Fork entrance. go left. 1st left says marina, go left. After launching go left. 1st cove to left, unless it is dark you will see the culvert straight ahead, maybe a little right and the bridge off to your left. Incidentally when on 22 it is the 1st time you see the lake on the left.

Good Luck,

Shawn

17. saltforkcatman

saltforkcatman New Member

State:
    Senecaville,Ohio
    thats a nice fish i fish salt fork alot catch some nice fish to were abouts do you fish. its great to see someone on here so close to home id love to talk to you about the lake :big_smile:

18. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC Dale, always great to have another new member from Ohio.

19. saltforkcatman

saltforkcatman New Member

State:
    Senecaville,Ohio
    are all yall talking about beehams run road cuz rite across from that culvert i caught a 25 pound flathead...jus wonderin do you guys know how many jugs you are aloud to use on that lake cuz me and my buddy wanna give that a shot heard its a blast!! thanks for all the help.