Salt Fork Lake Park Ranger.

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by mbill, Aug 2, 2009.

1. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Ok everyone I got a story for you and let me know what you think.
    This past Saturday evening 5 of us members on here got together at Salt Fork for some fishing. First of all about 3 hours before dark 4 guys in a boat limb lined an entire cove with probably between 75-100 lines. They even put their boat in the water in an area that wasn't a boat launch ramp by asking one of us in particular if they could move their gear so they could back in. So naturally our evening seemed to be starting off with a little elevated blood pressure. Around 40 min before dark the Park Ranger shows up and checks us for our fishing license (No problem with that) so he gets to Sniper and says your from Apple Creek don't you have anyplace for you to fish up there that you have to come down here for that? Well we shrug that off and begin to tell him about all the limb lines and and them making their own boat ramp anywhere they want,He says I don't like crossing the line with ODNR let them worry about it! He could have said I'll give them a call and let them know. Or he could have done something my license says ODNR but he checked that. So what the hell can they do then if they cant do that?
    Just my 2 cents and thought I'd vent a little thanks all.:angry:
    P.S. We as Catfishermen can't be that much of the minority of in the fishing community that we cant get a little help can we?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  2. bigcat54

bigcat54 New Member

State:
    ohio
    This really gets me steaming. Did you get the OH numbers off the boat? Could you see if the limb lines had tags? Do you know the name of the officer? I got into a discussion with a officer early this year about the same thing at Salt Fork. :angry:

3. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Just one more thing I'm not trying to start a rod and reel VS Limb Liners debate these guys said they will do this in a couple bays a night and check them every 3-4 days so we thought we would make mention of that to the Park Ranger.

4. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    We did mention no tags on the lines, and didn't think to ask his name his tag was covered by a jacket it was raining, and we dropped the ball so to say on the boat numbers. Guess our frustration had us not thinking the right way.

5. bigcat54

bigcat54 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I know how you guys felt. Its so frustrating.

6. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    first i wouldn't of moved my stuff screw that,:angry: 5 cat fishermen and no pocket knife?did any of you get anything that night ?

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    IT IS EVERYWHERE...The liners are are destroying our sport right before our eyes!

I honestly believe the dnr does not care how many lines are set, or how many catfish removed...because flatheads eat some of there precious bass.

And I dont care what anyone says, there is no need to set 100 bank lines, unless, you are selling the fish to paylakes.

8. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    no tags on their gear then it is your gear. sure you dont want to brawl at the lake but why wouldnt a ranger check that the same as he checked your lisc. too god dang lazy to walk his rear in the woods that all.:angry:

9. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    He is just a park ranger and has to call the game wardens if you dont have a license. They are just mall cops for the parks.

10. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    That is for sure b.s. all the way around . I would not have moved my stuff either . I had a simular run in a few weeks back at my local spot . We got there and there was 11 people in 2 cars with out of state plates spred out all over the place and 2 on the boat ramp that says no fishing off the dock . They had drilled holes into the dock and stuck pole holders in it between the 2 of the guys on the dock they had 7 poles set out when the sign says 2 pole and line only .

Well I am not a snitch and everything would have blew over till they acted like it was a crime for me to put my boat in the lake and them have to reel in 2 poles . Thats when I went off and asked if they had an Illinois permit and could they read as I began to read the lake rules and dock rules . My son in law was a little worried cause we was out numbered , but myself I like it like that .......lol

It wasnt 5 minutes and they all packed up and got the frick out of dodge . Now I usually dont care what others do legal or not , but when its not legal dont act like I am doing something wrong or causing you problems because I am launching my boat while following the rules of the lake . I am an a__hole and when I get a chance to I can be a big one ....lol .

11. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    its best to have the numbers of the wildlife officer you are fishing at.

call them,call them back,call them back,sooner or later they have to come down there,lol

12. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Here where I fish we have rangers that check an if you don't have the states special 19.00 permit lol they write you a ticket an don't call the odnr. Lame excuse for them not to do some investigating. If these guys put the boat in there then should have been a vehicle or something to get the tag numbers off of. Laziness is what that is.

13. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If I see limb lines without tags on them I cut them down. Its my personal opinion that they are destroying the cat population. I think they should be banned or at the very least higly restricted. It makes me sick ! I was at clendening a few weeks back and there were hundreds of them everywhere.
    Matt aka Desode

14. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
    we are aloud 2 rods then they should make it 2 bankline or 2 juggs thats how i feel

15. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Remember fellas, any one can ask to see your license, any one! You could have ask the liners to see theirs and gotten names from that. Like Jack suggested before in another thread, add the DNR and Sheriffs numbers to your cell phones for times like this. At least you will know that you did all you could at the time.

16. tunacat

tunacat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    DNR says:

It is unlawful to set, use, or maintain more than six floatlines in all public waters of the state of Ohio less than 700 surface acres. Floats must be of nonshatterable material and bear the name and address of the user. Floats must be freely adrift and be attended by the user at all times. Treble hooks are unlawful.

17. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Well I'm adding a pen and notebook to my bag and am writing everything from now on I've heard of the problems you all have had at your fishing spots and haven't encountered those yet till now so never had myself prepared for that I guess, well Lesson learned now. Even going to fire a letter to the DNR. It's the least I can do now. By the way we caught one fish a 5 lb Channel had 5 of us and 9 or 10 poles in the water at any given time we fished about 13 hrs.

18. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I can understand how you wouldnt want to push it too hard tho if you were leaving on your boat by taking a stand cause if they are brazen enough to break the law one way whats to stop them from doing a B&E on your vehicle or destroying your property while your on your boat.

19. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    But are you required to show it ????,I have never heard that one, if so do you have a link to the reg.. I am afraid if this is a law, I would willingly break that one. Someone ask me to see my hunting/fishing licence and I would have to tell them to p.u.a.r. :smile2:

20. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's the last sentence in License Requirements......Anglers must have their license in their possession while fishing and must show the license to anyone on request.