Salt Fork Lake Ohio 2007

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by loanwizard, Apr 29, 2007.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    My daughter Jocelyn and I went out last night (4/28/07). We had been told that the water temp was 51 degrees. That didn't seem to amke sense since the River had already been 57 earlier in the week, but... since Easter was colder than Christmas..... Anyhow we got to the lake by 5:30 or so and went for a little boat ride. We baited up 1 dead chub, 1 4 inch live chub, 1 12" live chub and one 5" warmouth. About 7:15 in broad daylight we had something finally move off across the lake with the big chub. I tightened up the line and made sure the hook was et, reeled a little, then handed off to Jocelyn. Folks, I am here to tell you, that was the biggest Flathead I have ever felt on the end of a rod. We fought it about halfway in and then somehow it was gone. Chub was dead and battered, Flathead was gone. We too got run out by the rain but fellas, the Flatties are back.

Just for archival info, the water temp where I was fishing was 61 degrees, and they never touch the live gill. All of our bites were on live or dead creek chubs.

And yes they are back where 2 years ago was a field.

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    My guess is that dead bait is easy pickings for flatheads when coming out of that dormant stage. Those flatties at Salt Fork should be in full swing middle to end of May in the shallow bays and coves.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for the report! I hope by the end of summer to get up that way and wet a line with some of you fellow Ohio Brothers!

4. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Hi Loanwizard. I bet that was a lot of excitement and a heck of a battle when you handed your daughter the rod. I have never fished Salt Fork Lake but hope to get my boat on it by the end of May. Abu

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Yep, it's close. Remember Shawn, there's always next time.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I am ready for a trip to ol Salt Fork. Just let me know when.

7. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    I am going Wednesday Evening. If anyone wants to meet up call me @ 740-502-1017

Boat full but I can point you to some good bank spots.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    my daughter is going on 7 months. she is an only, spoiled child i must add. i can't wait till she is old enough to take fishing. i can only imagine the thrill you got as a dad, and the expression on her face. these are things she will remember for along time. i still remember my dad and uncle taking me. congrats on the trip with her, and try to get a pic. maybe of her fighting her first big flattie! TAKE A KID FISH'IN ESP> YOURS!:smile2:

9. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio

Wish I would have read this thread earlier......I would have met up with ya down there:eek:oooh:

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Me too, I got back home around 8 and had nothing to do last night.

Hope yall tore em up.

11. flathead man

flathead man New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey man theres a tournmant on may 19 at cripple creek my father in law are goona fish it for flatties at clendening was wondering if ya wanna hook up and mabey fish with us? We dont gotta boat but i know some place's we can get some BIG flatties from shore if ya interested? wrote your # down if ya wanna go tell me to call ya and we can figure out time and place ? flathead man (will)

12. flathead man

flathead man New Member

State:
    ohio
    My girl friend and i took my 3yr old daughter fishin last spring for bait (bluegills) se was not to into it untill... she hooked a fish then i couldnt tear her away from the rod. lol 3 weeks ago she shot her first groundhog with my 17hmr all i did was hold it on the bi pods and she squezed the trigger she hoit him in the head at 40yrds was so awsom to see her take the first steps to being a hunter & fisherman and to be honest her mom hates it to make her mom mad my oldest runs around saying iam daddys little redneck and you cant do nuttion bought it lol. But trust me dude when they take that first step towards being a sportsman it gives you a great pride ans sensation inside to know you are doing something to ensure the future of hunting and fishing for yrss to come. when you kid get that first fish or animal send me a pic ok? flathead man

13. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    I can't go that weekend because a bunch of the BOC guys from Ohio are getting together at what is called a "Gathering" which you are more than welcome to attend and meet a bunch of us. Look in the gatherings section of the site for info. It will be held at Dillon and the Muskingum River.

Welcome to the BOC.