salt creek

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by grillking, Jun 1, 2009.

1. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    anyone fished the salt creek at all this year? hit it once and nothing. have had some success before. just wondering

2. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    i aint fished salt creek since i was prolly 14 down by the old sam's and KFC which neither are there anymore.. i heard good things about it by 10th and vandorn this year.. but i never kept anything outta there the sewage been dumpin in there for YEARS.. same with holms lake dont keep nothin there either its the old garbage dump from the earliy years.. when they renavated it you could see they were hitting some of the trash still...

3. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    doesn't sound much different from the river

4. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    A friend of mine fishs that place on a regular basis and keeps everything he catchs. As long as you are up stream from the plant you should be okay. He goes to the bridge by the state park. And from what he's said they are biting good.

5. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I have fished it 4 times this year so far, each time near the HWY 6 bridge east of Ashland. Total for all 4 trips would be 16 Channel Cats from 1-5 pounds, 1 3 pound Flathead, a couple of Goldeye, and 10 or so Drum with the biggest about 8 pounds. Caught all of em on crawlers and a couple of the Channels hit one of the goldeyes I cut up. No real big fish, but the numbers are good. A little tip though...I fished up and down that whole bank but 90 percent of the fish came off of a flat west of the bridge. The section near the ballfields in town is pretty good usually too but I haven't hit that yet this year. I have even pulled walleye out of that area! Supposed to be some big Flatties in there but I have yet to get one. Hope this helps and Good Luck!

6. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    I also fish off hwy 6. we camp at the new campground on the west side of the creek. it's kinda nice to pull our camper to a creek side lot. then you can throw out a line anytime.

7. BurnoutNova

BurnoutNova New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I've never fished Salt creek, always wanted to just never have. What are the guidlines for fishing the creek with a small boat? Is it legal? I figured I have a real small ittle boat I could throw my trolling motor on and just drift down the creek and see what happens. Didnt want to get in any trouble though.

I did hear a year or two ago there were some kids who caught a huge (20+lb) Musky out of Salt creek by the Van Dorn bridge, I saw the pic of it at Fish tackle, wouldnt have belived it without the picture!

8. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    you should be fine with your boat. I would just make sure you follow the boating rules and regulations. life jackets and stuff like that. there are some big fish in there. see a few wipers if you can believe it!

9. BurnoutNova

BurnoutNova New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Where's a good spot to launch at? My little 14' V is light enough that I can get it in the water about anywhere, but if theres an easier spot to launch than sliding it down a steep bank that would be bennificial!

I might just go out tommorow afternoon and check some spots out, I'm suddenly intriuged up to see what Salt creek will have.

10. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Welcome to the BOC and good luck man! I really enjoy fishing on Salt Creek. I have caught damn near everything that swims out of there. Cats, Carp, Drum, Sturgeon, Wiper, Walleye, Bluegill, and some fish I have never seen before. I looked it up and I believe it was a Bowfin. A guy I work with even pulled a fresh water eel out of there! Don't know where would be a good place to put a boat in, but if you're near Ashland, there are lots of access points if you look around a bit...The HWY 6 bridge east of town is good and in town if you take the main road heading east you will cross a bridge over the creek. There are access points on both the north and south side of the bridge and parking as well. Don't know about in and around Lincoln. I have fished around 10th and Van Dorn and caught some bullheads but it's pretty shallow. Also saw a large muskie down there as well, so I know that picture at Fish's tackle is not BS! Anyway, hope this helps and good luck!!!

11. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Oh yeah...take some nightcrawlers. I would say 80 percent of the fish I catch out of there come off crawlers. Everything likes nightcrawlers :big_smile: