Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why do you need to flash freeze your bait. Why wouldn't just plain ice be good enough until you get home to a freezer
Just asking I have never frozen bait
The quicker you freeze it, The better shape it will be in when you use it.
As for plain ice, I never allow chlorinated ice to touch my bait.
Might make a difference, Might not. I have more confidence in it that way though.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Why do you need to flash freeze your bait. Why wouldn't just plain ice be good enough until you get home to a freezer
Just asking I have never frozen bait
Because when we catch skipjack, we are several hundred miles from home and usually vacationing for a week or 2 at the time for this reason. I usually have 2 160qt coolers with 75lbs of dry ice back at the BnB that l put the fish in when we get back there.
Lay em flat, put 3-6 in a seal a meal bag n throw on the dry ice. Lethal weapon there after!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Because when we catch skipjack, we are several hundred miles from home and usually vacationing for a week or 2 at the time for this reason. I usually have 2 160qt coolers with 75lbs of dry ice back at the BnB that l put the fish in when we get back there.
Lay em flat, put 3-6 in a seal a meal bag n throw on the dry ice. Lethal weapon there after!!!
I thought about dry ice instead of the salt method. I was scared that all my baits would freeze together in one big 70qt lump. Lol

Sounds like you on the right track by packaging them first.

·
Registered
928 Posts
For moving my bait I like to keep it cool. So I have a spoecial deal. have a 2# coffee can lined with the bags myninslum come packed it. Freezr the thing with a smaller plastic bowl on the center of the bags and then drop a bowl of bait in another same size plastic bowl in the one in the ice bags. bait stays nice and cool!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I thought about dry ice instead of the salt method. I was scared that all my baits would freeze together in one big 70qt lump. Lol

Sounds like you on the right track by packaging them first.
I put 50-75lbs in each cooler. 2 layers of cardboard and 5mil indust plastic over that over ice. DO NOT PLACE COOLER ON TOP ANYTHING OTHER THAN METAL TRUCK BED OR CONCRETE!!! 1st time we went to Ky Dam, l had 2 160qt coolers in bed of my truck. I have a campershell with bed rug inside entire area.
After 2 days of coolers with dry ice, coolers were froze solid to the carpeting!!!! I couldnt even budge them with a full shoulder block!!! Ended up wrapping 2 ratchet straps together around cooler to tree and pulled lower carpet out of the truck!!!
After that we have put cardboard ontop of moving blanket and have not had issues again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts