SALMON

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEW YORK TALK' started by nycathunter, Sep 2, 2008.

1. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    the salmon will be running soon how many others from new york fish for salmon? i usually fish at night with egg sacs or glow in the dark spoons this is my favorite time of year ill be bowhunting in the mornin an fishin for salmon at night it doesnt get much better:big_smile:

2. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Be careful where your fishing at night brother. In Oswego we can only fish at night on the lake side of the first bridge. In Pulaski I'm not sure where cut off is. I'll be out taking a few. I usually catch one up in the war zone.......then sit down and watch the elbow to elbow show. Always a good fight or to, which gets even more comical when the fish are starting to rot. They'll fight to the death for a half dead furry salmon. Odds are it wasn't hooked in the mouth anyways, another no no in our waters. Don't be afraid to target the browns in with them after the eggs, and an occasional coho as well. I'm old school I fish the salmon with mini twisters and floating jig heads. It went out about ten years ago but I still slam em. Usually Purple glitter body with a blue or two tone green head.
    If that isn't working the pink or peach glow bug/yarn fly will. Try different spawn netting colors as well, at times it makes all the difference. Even downsizing the sacks or using brown's spawn can trigger a better bite as well. Have fun and be safe. Mixxed with a good morning of bow hunting, nothing beats a little New York surf and Turf.

Richard

3. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    i dont belive fishing at night where i go is a problem thats why i mostly go at night is cause there isnt as many people. theres a few places i would never go again during the day because of people fighting over half dead salmon:smile2: they do give you you somthing to watch when the fishing is slow good luck this year see you at the ring .......i mean river

4. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Ya'll got any catfish up there?

5. armyfisher

armyfisher Member

State:
    georgia
    Try using some of the blue fox 1/4oz.-1oz spinners with bucktail i would nail the hell out of some salmon and different types of trout back in CT. another thing the like and this is targeting the bigger salmon, if you can find an outfitter store that sells williamson gyro diamond jigs 1/8oz-5 oz they are colored like minnows to rainbow trout we used them for fall and winter stripers out in the sound and connecticut river but found they works really well especially is fast moving currents that many trout and salmon prefer. good luck brother. i was also going to say ya might snag a channel cat or 2 depending how far under you are retrieving the lure.:smile2:

6. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    people fight over dead salmon up there, you need to tape some of that footage to show us, would be fun to watch