salmon running yet

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by davesoutfishing, Oct 5, 2005.

1. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    not sure where we are going in MIch. but it starts with mi I think he said minatobi or something like that are the salmon running?

2. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    From what I have heard, the northen part of the lower peninsula still has NOT had the big run yet- a run that usually happens closer to labor day.

The water is too low and too warm. From what I have been told the salmon are stacking up at the mouths of the rivers- and thats good. If we get good rain this weekend, come early monday theyll begin the run.

My brother lives in Marquette in the central upper peninsula and says that by him as well as in the st mary's river, the run is 100% on and in full swing, actually closer to its end.

Hope that helps. If anyone else can chime in with more info that would be great-

Sal

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i herd they were late this year. we usually hit tippy dam first part of october. had a great run last year,caught several 25-30#ers. good luck to you dave.

4. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    yesterday i went and checked out a spot on the rabbit river, in Hamilton, and they were catching a few.
    one fella said he had been catching them off the pier in holland last couple of weeks, and when a good rain hits(actually this morning) that they shuld start running. :) :)

for allegan. same guy told me that they're starting to show up there as well, just waiting for rain.wamr water and drought has really slowed them down this year, but it'll happen in a mad frenzy soon. :eek:

5. davesoutfishing

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    thats where we are going is tippy dam and thanks for the info

6. davesoutfishing

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    WOW salmon are fighters we went friday night and came back today with a full limit best time of my life fishon at tippy dam

7. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    AWESOME! CONGRATS!!!!

Theyre surely ON right now. The Pere Marquette at Baldwin ought to pick up after todays cold rain.

Allegan ought to be thckening up next weekend, eh jross?

Keep it updated!!!!!!!!!

Sal

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    glad to here you guys had a good trip to tippy. suposed to go this weeekend :D woohoo

9. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    yeah, i'd guess allegan should start picking up. haven't been there in a couple weeks.
    saw some fish close to the house, i live right by the mouth off the k-zoo into the lake.
    it should be booming now, or if not anyday.

GO Whitsox.

Saw a pic of a guy that caught a 30lber chinhook in the muskegeon river, dark colored fish.

10. davesoutfishing

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    if ya was at tippy and seen a fat guy with a blaze ornge hat and I made ya mad sorry for being a rookie lol
    still talking about the trip to the wife and whoever will listen lol

11. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    where is tippy dam?

12. davesoutfishing

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    up around welston but if you go their go above the small dam its a c dam I cant spelll it lol but get above it if you go close to the big dam you can wade out to the end of the dam where the water is still moveing through the dam but stay about 15 foot from the concrete as your walking out when you get to shallow water come down stream along ways about to the c dam like 30 feet from it then turn so your right shoulder is to the small c dam *couffer dam* throw to the edge of the c dam then real in slow

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    never made it last time :sad: but we are heading out in the mornin. stayin at the camp on south side of dam in a cabin if anyone is close. ill look for that spot dave thx. we fished 200yrds. down from dam last year just before the bend across from ramp. i hope they are in there like last year,talk about fun. those stairs sure sucked with my asthma though. lol

reports on its way

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    well we had a great trip to tippy. me and hoosierpolcat slayed the salmon. i even caught 2 30+in. steelies! i dont have the pics sized yet sorry im slow. i think ill post them in the trout thread though.