Salmon report?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by river scum, Sep 11, 2007.

1. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    anyone been chasing salmon yet up there? we are heading to tippy dam next month,would like a heads up on the run please.

thx :tim

2. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    the kings have been in the P.M. for about three weeks or so. they have been trolling for them in Manistee lake for 2 weeks. I was chasing them in the White River on the 10th, and got two. with the cool weather and rain we are getting, the run should be on in full swing in the next 7 to 10 days. good luck at tippy.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thanks, for the report jon!

4. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My father is heading up to the Manistee river this week and I would like to hear how the bite is. What are the best baits right now?

Oct 2nd I plan on taking my every first trip to Michigan to catch some salmon. I'm thinking that we will be below the Tippy damn. I will only be able to spend a few days there. Since I'm new to this type of fishing, I would like any info that you could relay towards my direction.

Some of my questions are; what type of name brand line that is abrasion resistanced would work in the Manistee river and what would be a good size of line to use? Is salmon spawn bags the best bait? What does a meat rig look like and consist of? Does it work for salmon?

Any other important notes that I haven't thought of would be nice since I know I don't know jack about salmon fishing. Thanks!

5. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    hey rob-

from what i have been hearing, the fish are just arriving at tippy now. This early in the run I like to use plugs. Thundersticks, and Hot-n-tots. Firetiger pattern works really well, as does blue and chrome, green and chrome, dark red chrome, and purple chrome. every fish i have hooked so far this year has been in the mouth.

You didn't say what type of rod you will be fishing with, so i am going to assume that you are going to use what most use. An 8 foot , or longer medium action spinning rod. I would suggest you try 12 lb. Yo-zuri. it is very abraision resistant, and has a good tinsel strength. Due to the color of the line, greenish brown, I would suggest a floro-carbon leader. This rig will work well with plugs and spoons, flies, and spinners. As for spawn sacks, I prefer steelhead spawn over salmon spawn, just seems to work better for me.

One of the best tricks i have found to take fish when they are on the beds is to put a 6" pink bubblegum plastic worm on a floating jighead and just dance it in front of the fish on the bed. A live nightcrawler rigged the same way and danced in front of them will work well also. Don't think me crazy when I say this, but drifting gummie worms on jigheads through the beds will also work. No I'm not kidding. it really works. the brighter colors work the best.

When you refer to meat rigs, I assume you are refering to cut shad and herring? Since the salmon are not feeding when in the river, i don't feel those rigs would work. Getting them to strike is simply a matter of pissing them off enough.

Since this will be your first trip to MI for salmon, i need to tell you that tippy will be shoulder to shoulder fishermen. and a lot, but not all, of them will be rude and nasty. There are so many other great spots to fish on the west side of the state. Grand Rapids, Berrien Springs, Traverse City (the boardman river), The Pier Marquette river out of Ludington. I just can't understand why everyone seems to think that tippy is the magic water for kings in MI?????

Oh well, I have babbled on enough. please take this for what it is. One mans personal opinion. Good luck.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    rob, enjoy the steps down to the river! lol youll see. also good luck on those salmon! we usually just drift orange ear plugs on trebles,caught two 30" plus steelies last year on that rig. we are set to go the 12/13th of oct. we will be fishing tonk hole and the dreaded steps. there is a water guage close to there to keep tabs on the river conditions. if i knew how to put it in here i would. i gota learn that one of these days. hehe

7. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

hey dont have a report for you yet going up fri. morning till sunday. will be fishing tippy and pere marquette, cant wait hope the salmons are plentiful which should be the case.but i will update you on the salmon as soon as i get back....

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    cool thanks, Mickey!

9. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I landed a nice 12lb steely near just upstream of the Rogue River bridge. This warm weather really has the salmon messed up. They are definately not in big numbers as of yet...by the end of next week it should start picking up!

10. Rizzo

Rizzo New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Speaking of the PM, I just spoke to a friend of mine who landed 20 or so
    fish up there last thurs/fri. He fishes the "no kill zone" i guess he puts in
    at "lumberjack landing"? A few other buddies claim that 6th street in G.R.
    is heating up.