Salmon Patties

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Boomer, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    No fish in the freezer, this is what I do when I run low.

2 cans Salmon
    Soda crackers
    Salt
    Pepper
    Green onion
    eggs

in large dish take salmon out of can and deskin and bone it, crumble it up or use food processor. Crumble cracker and add salt and pepper and Salmon, you just have to judge how much salmon to how many crackers depending on how many you are making and how "fishy" you want it. Add chopped up green onion, add eggs until the crackers and fish make firm patties.

I fry these in a cast iron skillet. I turn them over when they are brown on one side, when both sides are browned they are done.

I am sure you could use other kinds of fish, but I usually use salmon.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Gary,thats almost the exact way I make mine ,I never thought of adding onions tho. I just leave the skin and bones in,they mash up with a fork ,and the soft bones add calcium,skin omega 3 fatty acid, 'good stuff maynard '

3. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    I had a bunch of leftover smoked salmon the other day. Found a recipe in the smoker booklet.

Flaked smoked salmon
    Mashed potatoes (thick)
    egg
    onion
    corn flakes (I substituted crackers)
    pepper and garlic to your liking (smoked salmon is already salty enough)
    chill for 30 min or so.

They were awesome and a great way to use up the smoked salmon after everyone gets tired of eating it.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thats my favorite fish right there. Cant wait till I retire in Idaho and fish for supper. :cool2:

5. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    never tried mashed potatoes, will have to give it a try next time I make them, sounds good.

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

That's the way my grandma made 'em....she added a smidgeon of milk as well. Makes them a bit more tender.

You're right about the nutritional benefits of the bones and skin, but sometimes that's too fishy for me. In fact, if I can buy it inexpensively enough I get the skinned/bonned cans of salmon. Sam's Club sells it in a multi-pack of larger cans (than the 6-oz. tuna sized ones the grocery store has).

I put onions in mine, and Old Bay seasoning normally takes the place of salt and pepper. I like to add some shredded parmesan cheese (cheddar works also, but you don't want a really soft cheese) if I have that on hand.

If you don't have eggs, mayonnaise is a good substitute.

You can also use canned bread crumbs or dry stuffing mix in place of the crackers. If using one of these, be careful with the salt/salty seasonings.

7. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    That's the way my mom used to make them except she used Mackeral back then. Man I used to love them things!

8. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    i love salmon patties!!!

i know someone who puts in DICED JALAPENOS in hers

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMM YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

9. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    also works with canned tuna or canned mackerel too. try smushed up ritz crackers instead of saltines. also good is half cracker crumbs and half doritos that have been crushed. sounds weird but good.