Salmon, Have you tried it?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Flamekeeper, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Around 4 years ago I was headed for the fishing hole about 4;30am. and decided to stop at Kroger for some shrimp back by the meat department.Just to find out there was no shrimp out for sell.The butcher had set out a couple of Salmon filets, so I figured since the meat was full of fatty tissue and had a strong smell,I bought one.
    Got to the lake and the rain was coming down pretty steady,Got out ,put raingear on and flipped the tailgate down. took the Filet and prepared it. 3/4 " above the skin I cut the top half of the filet off. then, cut lenghtwise down to the skin into 1/2 " strips and then cut 1 " to1 1/2" across.Then fileted the strips off the skin. must of had 25-30 pc's. Got my rods and started down the dam just before daylight and noticed some flips on the water so I stopped and baited up and threw out around 91/2 'deep and 30' from the bank. Before I got to my other rod the float was gone. I set there and caught 26 Channel's in under 1/2 hr in the rain.
    From that day on I take salmon along with Blugill for bait for Channel's.
    and catch fish everytime on it anyone else fish with it ?.

Pic's of cut bait attached along with some stringers of fish caught on it.

tried to showpics of stringers of fish but their in another post ,
    Can anybody tell me if there is a way to repost pics on other threads?
    I do catch 100/200 fish a year on the stuff it WORKS,Try it

Attached Files:

• #1.JPG
      #1.JPG
      File size:
      40.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    14 Out of hundreds of Catfisherman and Women there is no users of salmon .
    Its hard to beleive.

I got to say try it at your best channel cat spot the next time you go and let me know how many fish you catch.

It only costs 6 bucks on sell at kroger for 1/2 filet of fish. there is enough bait for 2-3 trips if the fish are biting slow. but if their hitting 1 trip.

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks for the tip Kenny, a little pricey but ill give it a try, and let you know the results.

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Kenny, Will it work after it has been frozen? It's almost a shame to use salmon for bait I love grilled salmon.:smile2:

st

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I wouldnt waste the salmon to use as a bait.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Wal-Mart sells some frozen salmon caught by chinese in the China sea that woudl make good bait, it was worthless as food.

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey buddy I'm game but I have to say salmon is good eatin if you buy it from the swanz truck.Man thats the best eatin salmon I've ever had,I'll never go back to canned. But if I find some on sale at the grocery I'll give it a try thanks for posting! I'll rep ya brother------------pk powell:big_smile:

8. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Y'all, another note on salmon, my wife buys it from Sam's Club and there are several fillets in a bag. There are frozen and packed individually and all you have to do is nuke them and man are they ever good.

st

9. BamaCats

BamaCats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I know the meat guy real well i will talk to him and see if i can get some salmon that i s going out of date. he alwayes let me get livers and beef hearts that expired. Thanks for the tip brother, will post pics and let you know how it works down here in Bama.

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Seedtick
    ,,yes it sure does Bro.and it might work after the second freeze,but if the flesh turns a lighter color after defrost and refreeze it usely does'nt do too well.
    But you get a fresh slab and get on some fish , you will laugh your head off, and might have to fish with 1 pole I Guarantee it.

Make sure when you filet it off the skin leave the fatty tissue on the meat, it will help hold it on the hook.and leaves a oil slick.

Another tip is to leave a few pc's in the sun to heat up a bit before use and the oil will come out of the meat which will cause it to darken a bit and helps toughen it up.( but right off the filet will get'em )

Mutt ,, Now you cannot say that if you took it fishing to cook on the grill, and the fish was'nt biting on anything else you had,and you cut a strip off the filet and casted out there and the float went down, one,two,three fish.
    you might not have Salmon to cook on the grill would you. :smile2:

It might be 4-6 bucks a slab but you can get 40-60 pc,bait if cut right ,and you can catch 30-50 fish on it if the fish are there:big_smile:

thats the pay back ( fish , Catfish , thats what we want right:002: )

Pic of fish caught on it and bluegill pc's

Attached Files:

11. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Thanks for the tip Kenny. I'll have to try it.

st

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Seedtick , Sorry Bro, I Forgot to put this in the other post

You can tell when you have unthawed it to many times when the meat turns light in color and starts to seperate from the fatty tissue between the layers of meat. Good Luck Bro's.

13. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    im tryn it friday!!!

14. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

Them Cats swim in tight groups, and feed in the same manner.

If you catch one, their was 4-5 more swimming next to him ready to eat.
    And if you keep the bait on top of that spot,quickly. at the same depth, you might come home with a basket full of eaters.

Good Luck to ya Bro. Kenny

15. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    thanks kenny! i hope i do!

16. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Im going to have to try it thanks:big_smile:

17. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Anytime the wife fixes salmon patties it draws me to the table to feed. grizzly

18. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I will have to give it a try. Always lookin for a new bait! LOL

19. benneeb0y

benneeb0y New Member

State:
    VA
    no luck on the salmon. but i didn't have any luck on anything. bluegill, shad, livers and shrimp. I think hurricain ernesto had things off kilter. Everything was flooded. I went bait fishin saturday afternoon and only caught 4 blue gill in 2 hours. And usually I can pull about 10 to 12 in 20 minutes. So we will seem what happens next weekend.

20. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Ben, Bro sorry to hear about all the flooding ,and no fish .
    When you get them fish hitting that stuff you will :big_smile: and take it with you all the time I gaurantee. keep after'em and lewt me know when you hit'em bro, Good Luck man. Kenny