salmon fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by butch fulk, Aug 12, 2008.

1. butch fulk

butch fulk New Member

State:
    Charlotte, Mich
    i know this is a catfishing sit,but any news of salmon in the rivers , going north in a few week .no wife or kids. just 4 days of fishing. we are going salmon fishing in the day and cats at night . thank for any info

2. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I live in Cadillac and in past years have really fished the salmon runs in the fall. A friend of mine went out at Manistee this past Sunday and said the fish were stacked up at the mouth of the river. They caught three kings from daylight to 10am when the wind blew up and they left. Everything is if, but, if the nights stay cool, if we get some rain and the fish run as they have in past years you should find fish in the rivers right now till bow season starts. If you are bank fishing try to find some fresh spawn. In the past there was a guy on Tippy Dam road who had a sign at M55 and tippy dam road "spawn for sale." Spoons, flatfish, wobble glows and minnows should work as well. I fish below Tippy dam and unless the crowds are wall to wall I will find and at least hook a salmon or two. Once the snaggers get there on the weekends and the beer and the garbage I just cant go anymore till the run is over and the steelhead start. Then I fish through the winter till the big steelhead run in the spring. You might consider going to Manistee in the early morning and evening (before daylight and till dark) and cast spoons from the pier. When the fish are stacked in the river mouth it can be a blast. Take a long handled net to the pier so you can reach the fish to net it. Have fun.
    eyeguy

3. butch fulk

butch fulk New Member

State:
    Charlotte, Mich
    we got a boat and we going to wad to. we going to scottvill. last year i had some luck on hot n tot .it should be a good time with or with out salmon. we are tacken the catfishing stuff to .