Salamonie

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by casey, Mar 12, 2006.

1. casey

casey New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    We fished salamonie yesterday. Caught 16 cats from 2-8 lbs. Bigger cats are starting to move. Buddy of mine got a 14 lb. channel friday. We were using shad guts. Water was stained and on the rise. W

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Sounds like just a matter of time before ya'll start getting a boat full. LOL Good luck this year.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    me and fishgeek are suposed to be heading to salamonie in the near future. maybe we can hook up and catch a few. you guys use a boat or fish the upper reaches from shore,casey?

4. casey

casey New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    Thanks RIP we will sure try to catch a bunch. Good luck down your way too. I might try to make a trip down to the Nashville area this year and try for some of them blues. Got a son and 2 nephews down that way....Hey, comin2fish we are fishing from the bank right now. I won't put my boat in muddy water. Hate to have to flush it out when I get home. PM me when you are coming and we'll try to get together.

5. casey

casey New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    Was back up to Salamonie yesterday. Tthe water was muddy where we fished but that was because of the wind. We ended up catching 9 channels 2-7 lbs. The bite was slow but still enough to keep you interested. Saw one boat out. They were probably crappie fishing. Upstream looked to be less muddy than where we were so the crappie are probably biting back by the 105 bridge. Going back up today. Looking to find the big cats.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    hope you get bit today brother! we still havent set a date yet.

7. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    River Scum,

We're still working out the details w/ the in-laws as to when we'll drop off & pick-up the kids. I'll let you know ASAP.

Did you catch anything the other day?

8. casey

casey New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    We did pretty good sunday. Caught 22 channels 2 on shad guts and the rest on cut sucker. Most were 4-9 lbs. All the bigger fish were on sucker. The way the cats look you would think they couldn't eat another bite. Their bellies were really hanging. They would hit real soft and then run with it. Love the power they have especially when they go deep. We were fishing probably in 15 fow....Let me know when you can make it up and I'll try to get some more sucker for bait.

9. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice job with the channels, Casey! I can't wait to get out & hook up with some!

I emailed River Scum this morning. My best day will be next Friday (3/31) from late afternoon until whenever I want to go home. I haven't heard back from RS yet but I sure he'll go. We'll keep you posted.

10. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Casey: You didn't happen to get a water temp did you?

11. casey

casey New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    No fishgeek didn't get a temp reading. Still too muddy for me to put my boat in and i don't carry a thermometer. I would say its probably in the mid 40s or so but with snow and rain and this crazy weather it is more than likely varying daily. To answer your question baitfish, we are fishing in the reservoir. Dnr will close the gates to the the backwaters and flats April 1st. The cats seem to be moving upstream now so fishing around the upper boat ramps should get real good.

12. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Casey,

I agree. My first trip to Salamonie each spring has been to the Mt. Etna ramp area. I usually park on SR 9 and hike in on the north side of the reservoir just downstream of the bridge. I set up on the big barren flat across from that little cove on the south side of the reservoir. I havn't caught anything big but usually can catch a whole mess! Good times!

13. nightcrawler9000

nightcrawler9000 New Member

State:
    indiana
    what end of the lake are the cats biting on, by the dam ? or by the main lake. i have a small john boat with a 5 hp motor so i want to put in close to where i'm fishing, it will be a slow cold ride otherwise. only been there one other time and fished from shore under a birdge. what time of day is best?, i appericiate any help thanks

14. casey

casey New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    nIGHTCRAWLER, RIGHT NOW WITH THE LAKE AT WINTER POOL THEONLY RAMP YOU CAN PUT IN AT IS DORA. BEING YOU HAVE A SMALL JONBOAT YOU MAY BE ABLE TO SLIP IT IN DOWN BY THE BRIDGE ABUTMENT BY MONUMENT ISLAND. THAT WHOLE AREA HOLDS A LOT OF NICE CATS AND THEY DO CATCH SOME NICE CRAPPIE IN THAT AREA. IF YOU PUT IN THERE BE CAREFUL OF THE OTHER ABUTMENT WHICH SITS ABOUT 11 OCLOCK FROM THE ONE YOU CAN SEE. THIS ONE IS SUBMERGED AND I HAVE SEEN A FEW BOATS HIT IT. BEST TIME TO FISH IS HARD TO SAY, WE USUALLY GET UP THERE AROUND 10 A.M. THE FISH SEEM TO SLOW DOWN OR SHUT OFF AROUND 6 P.M. RIGHT NOW THE CATS ARE HITTING JUST ABOUT ANYWHERE YOU WANT TO TRY.

15. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nightcrawler,

Welcome to the BOC. A bunch of good people and good info here.

Last year at this time I was able to get in at the Mt. Etna ramp just west of SR9 on the south side of the lake. As previously posted, I usually hike in from SR9 but last year I put my canoe in at the Mt. Etna ramp. I didn't have a problem & I would think that you could get a small john boat in right now as well...particularly if you don't have the boat trailered. However, sounds like Casey knows the reservoir pretty good so I would take his advice before mine!

16. carp46755

carp46755 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ok guys, ACATS will hold there first tournament on Salomonie Lk. April 15th from 6am till 3pm. Weigh in will begin at 3:15. We will launch at Dora Ramp. Anyone wanting more information please send me a pm.