Salamonie Reservoir's oxygen content

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by dusky, Sep 14, 2006.

1. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    I was at Salamonie's website, checking out their stuff on there and I found some data that they collected in August. It turns out that there was no oxygen below 15ft. ??? I didn't think Salamonie would stratify that much! The thing is, I'm positive that I've caught cats around twenty feet deep outta there during summer months. And I think those were during times of regular pool level. Anyone else catch em below 15ft this summer?

2. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I caught all of mine from 10ft or less. There was a few weeks where i couldn't catch a fish at all. At this time the thermocline was at 2.5 ft??? really confusing.

3. cjharrol

cjharrol New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What is Salamonie's website? And how do you know where the theromcline is at?

4. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
  5. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
  6. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member

State:
    Indy
    The thermocline will show up on a decent fish finder as a dark line typically. Look for the schools of baitfish, they are often found at the thermocline depth.

7. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hmmm....catching fish below the thermocline? I don't think that's terribly uncommon. I've heard that some species with dip under the thermocline for short periods for some reason...perhaps chasing bait?...taking advantage of the cooler water? Catfish are pretty tough & can manage in poorer water quality than many species. BUT, if there's no D.O. below 15 feet, I'm not sure what to tell you!

8. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    I got ahold of the Army Corps of Engineers at Salamonie and they said that I should just watch the charts they post on the site. They do those tests twice per month from about March until whenever the fall turnover hits. So, I'll be able to start watching the trends that way. They were reluctant to offer up backlogs.