Salamonie Reservoir Spillway Paddlefish!!!!

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Shad Man, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Well I finally got a day and a half off of work so I had to go fishing. I decided I wanted to fish the Salamonie spillway so the girlfriend and I drove up last night and fished for about an hour or so before the lightning ran us off. When we got there we couldn't even find a place to fish. The place was packed with people and five gallon buckets full of what I call bait (you all can put two and two together if you have ever been there). Well we started fishing right where the concrete and the rip rap meet. Right below the steps where the slack water and the current meet. I was using crawlers and cut shad. We caught 5 drum within an hour on nightcrawlers. Could have caught more but I was using #5 circle hooks and the drum where small (less than 1ft). So as we are watching the storm approach my rod which I had stuck in between some rocks doubles over and slams into the water. At first I thought it was another fisherman who had throw over me. But as I grabbed the pole I new I had a big one on. I was using cut shad so I thought it may be a big flatty but after 10 minutes the monster surfaced. A 4ft paddlefish!!! We tried to bring it into the slackwater on the side but as I did it broke off when I got it close to the bank. Worst thing was my girlfiend had the camera out and didn't snap a pic before I broke it off. I can't complain, we got a good look at it and it was the first one I have ever caught. It also had two lampreys on it. I didn't get a good look at them but they appeared to be either chestnut or silver lampreys (both native, parasitic, and rare). So after all that said no catfish!!!! Maybe next time.

2. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    The 1st summer I started to fish at Strave Hollow, I had started to use steel leaders. Not knowing of course that SH had some Northern Pikes & Muskies there. That summer June I caught a Pike that was 38".:wink:

3. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    GOOD JOB ON THE PIKE

4. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice catch Justin! Cool about the lampreys. Definitely would have been nice to get a pic.

How are things up on the big pond?

5. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Not to bad. Just busy as hell since we expanded the program this summer. I need to get out and do some more fishing tho.

6. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Awesome fish is all I can say. The first and only one I caught was at the J.E. Roush spillway a few years ago. I was able to get mine in and a great picture of it as well.

7. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    WOW this is the first time i have heard Starve Hollow mentioned on here. I used to camp down there with the family when i was like 6. I really miss that place. Have you ever fished the dam? I remember gill fishing there with termites we found in old stumps. Good times Good times.