Salamonie Reservior?

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by BIGCATFISH64, Mar 2, 2009.

1. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Is it just me, or did anyone else have a hard time getting on the fish last year in this body of water? (Salamonie Reservior)

2. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I never got on Salamonie last year & only Mississinewa once. Except for last year, I typically hit Salamonie the first week in April & kill the channels just downstream of the SR 9 bridge. Nothing big but lots of action! Tons of fun! I'm planning on fishing both reservoirs more this year. DNR has conducted two surveys at Miss. reservoir in the last 3 years & has netted some really nice channels and lots of them.

3. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Hey Matt, have you ever fished the Wabash river where it feeds into the res. at Huntington? if not its a really good bite in early April.:0a22:

4. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Hey Matt did they get done with the dam work yet?

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    you dont say.lol is there a boat ramp on the river somewhere? or maybe a place to slide in a 12 footer at least. i havent been up that far but have always wanted to investigate it.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    looked in my records and see mention of a markle ramp. who has info on this area?

7. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ramp....I guess you could call where I'm thinking a "ramp" River Scum! There's a DNR property access road outside of markle the comes out along the river just upstream from the I69 bridge & just upstream of where Rock Creek dumps into the Wabash. You can drive almost right to the river & launching your 12-footer there would be much different than some other spots you & T have put-in and taken out at.

My DNR buddies electrofish up in that area occassionally & have gotten some relatively nice flatties but not a ton of them...but then again, the way their electorfishing units are set up the don't typically work real well on flatheads like it does other species.

8. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    No, I never have. I may have to make it up there this year. Thanks for the tip!

9. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Allen,

Honestly, I'm not sure but I think their done. I just emailed my old assistant & asked him. I should have an answer tomorrow.

10. catfishcatcher

State:
    indiana
    Hey guys I fish this area a lot since it is close to where I live. I have caught a lot of fish there. I havent caught any flatheads and only a handfull of blues. There are numerous trees and stumps in the river along with some rocks. This is not a deep river with the deepest spot maybe 12-13 ft. This area is very good in the spring if you want to catch a lot of fish. Mainly channels and an ocassional blue, no flat heads! We use shad, creek chubs and bluegills which all work good. This is a flood controll system which means the water is not stable, up and down a lot. This spot in the river is a short stretch before it enters into the (J.E.Roush) reservior. I have fished this for about ten years and caught 1 20lb channel and 1 blue at 10lbs. If you want to catch a lot of fish and dont care about a monster then this place is for you. Personnaly I will still fish this area a little in the spring because it is close but I have decided to try a different body of water. My first trip last year for 3 days on the ohio I caught numerous flatheads, some channels and a few blues. The biggest was a 40lb flathead and 15 lb blue. I think you have a better shot catching more and bigger fish in the ohio. :0a26:

11. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Fishgeek is right, I fish this area alot with catfishcatcher, and there a widerness ramp there, and it is pretty easy access, and this is where Allen and I might disagree, but I really feel that there's a big fish up there with my name on it!:eek:oooh:

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    dont underestimate our small rivers up here! not one of those big flatheads in my photo bucket are from our "big" rivers. put in the time and concentrate on fishing "prime times" and you mite be surprised at what comes to hand.:wink: there has to be a 40 in salamonie reservoir somewhere.lol

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    reps to ya allen for the PM bro.

14. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Allen,

Yes, the dam work was completed 2 years ago. Everything is back to normal.

15. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Tim, hey brother I've seen your videos, and I'm a bieliever, It did,nt look to me like you were on a big river, looked like a lot of fun, brother I,ve targeted channel catfish all my life and had a great time doing so, but now I've got big fish fever, and any advice on how to catch them,would be greatly appreciated.:dribble:

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    lets do a meet n fish at the ramp soon guys. what you guys think about that?

im sorry i guess i took the photo bucket link off. lol same name on there though with an underscore between the words. some of the stuff mite seam weird but i use it as a picture posting utility for some sites.

17. catfishcatcher

State:
    indiana
    Yeah we can defently get together and hook up and fish together. The water level usually is not up untill around the end of april. Remember this is a flood plain controll sytem so they let the water down every witer and dont shut the dam off to fill it back up untill around april. Usually around the 3rd week of april the water is just high enough in the river to get a small boat in. It

18. catfishcatcher

State:
    indiana
    Yeah we can defently get together and hook up and fish together. The water level usually is not up untill around the end of april. Remember this is a flood plain controll sytem so they let the water down every fall and dont shut the dam off to fill it back up untill around april. Usually around the 3rd week of april the water is just high enough in the river to get a small boat in. It is a great time if you want to catch a lot of fish, mainly channels. We have a very hard time finding shad this time of year since they usually dont start migrating back into the river untill summer. I bet you could find them out in the reservoir. When we get ready to go up there next month me and bigcatfish64 will let you know.

19. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yes, please drop me and the geekster a line. lol

20. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah man! Count me in...my schedule is relatively flexible right now so its pretty easy for me to get away from work...gettting away from home can sometimes be the issue LOL!

Tim's right...these small rivers can hold some nice cats! I was doing a little research last night & the ran across that 1-page article in the fishing regs about the Wabash catfish study the DNR has been doing. It said that although more cats were captured further down river, quality size increased as there got further upstream (to Logansport). I'm hoping that trend continues upstream to Peru, Wabash, & Huntington!!! I also found an article that discussed positive changes in catfish populations (and recreational catch) after a ban on commercial fishing. So, theoretically, no commercial harvest (I know River Scum! You're pretty sure it still happens & you know I won't argue that point with you!) in these northern rivers should result in better quality cats...or at least similar quality cats as found in larger rivers with commercial fishing.