Salamanders for catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by CHAVEZ CHAVEZ, Sep 16, 2007.

1. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    was just wondering have any of you ever tried salamanders ? when i fish for trout in a local river and resivors , i've caught brown trout that had afew salamanders in there stomach . so do you think salamanders would work for cat bait or what ?:0a36:

2. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I would give it a try since cats eat almost anything dead or alive. Being a natural food source if you find them around the waters you fish then they should work. I don't know about cats but bass love them. If it works please let us know.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    About 100 years ago when I lived in arizona we used waterdogs or salamanders for both bass and catfish and they worked quite well there.Used to hook a small sally in the lips and cast it just like a plastic worm which were just coming into use in those days.if they are common in the waters you fish they should work.:big_smile:

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    darn near give my eye tooth to be able to get salamanders here in yuma. nearest place i've heard to get is phoenix. expensive too. they work great for the cats and bass. but screw bass cause i don't keep any how.
    gary

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    get a field and stream mag.look in the ads.in the back u will find an ad.by the bait man.he sells and ships all kinds of bait including waterdogs.

6. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    If you gott e'm in your fishin' hoel, hell yeah! They'll work like no tohter. Try to get a hardy salamander if poossible. Like a tiger salamander. Hook 'em through the lips, and syou'll l cactch somethin' sure as hell. Let us know how you do.

-red

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    worth looking into. problem here is that california it's illigal to use dogs. colorado river borders az and ca. i've been told that need to keep them on az side of river. kind of stuped to me. :confused2:
    nothing mentioned about salamanders. i was told they are about 20.00 a dz in phoenix. wonder what he'd charge. will look into it. thanks
    gary

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have used them in the past and they work great,at least waterdogs do. and they are the larval stage of a salamander ,like a tadpole is to a frog.

9. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Geesh $20 a dozen its too expensive. According to my catfishisng book salamanders are a good catfish bait. Never really tried them for $20 a dozen im not sure i want to....lol

10. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    we have used water dogs out here and they work great. you have to get them when they are immature, once they mature i have never had any luck with them. but when they are still young they are awesome.

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    My cousin used them on one of the lakes in Texas. It was while the blues were spawning and he would hook them through the lips with a weedless hook and no weight. Throw them in the weed beds and just let it crawl around and the blues would hit them like a freight train. Only drawback is that they are seasonal and expensive but the blues love them.

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i haven't done too well on actual salamanders, but the waterdogs are as good a bait as they come. only problem i have had with waterdogs is that bass love them too, and i am a catman!

13. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i dont know about using them for cats but I know the bass hate them and will attack the minute they see one. To bad for Mr. Bass!!!

14. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Waterdogs are just about the best bait going for the flathead at spawn or any catfish anytime. I think that the catfish see them as a threat to the eggs and fry. Lightly hooked through the lips, a gently cast waterdog will live for days (or until a catfish spots him!):smile2: